• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lien or law suit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Drywall Man

What is the name of your state? Michigan
I am a small drywall contractor, and I was hoping you could inform me whether I was better off filing a mechanics lien, or just going to small claims court, to collect $235.00 owed to me, for completing the drywall in a garage for another contractor. He says that he wont pay me because some tools are missing from the jobsite.(I had nothing to do with the missing tools).I dont have much money to begin with, and this is not much that we are talking about either, but it is owed to me, and I want it! What should I do? :confused:

HomeGuru

Drywall Man said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan
I am a small drywall contractor, and I was hoping you could inform me whether I was better off filing a mechanics lien, or just going to small claims court, to collect $235.00 owed to me, for completing the drywall in a garage for another contractor. He says that he wont pay me because some tools are missing from the jobsite.(I had nothing to do with the missing tools).I dont have much money to begin with, and this is not much that we are talking about either, but it is owed to me, and I want it! What should I do? :confused:
**A: forget the lien route as your legal fees and court costs would be a lot more.

D

Drywall Man

Tired of getting screwed!

Thank you, for the advice. Now if I go to court, do I have to be licensed to collect? I heard that if I dont have at least a maintianence and alterations license in Michigan,I would not be able to collect. I thought that as long as I just do drywall, that I dont have to have a license for anything under $600.00?
Does anybody know the answer to this?

HomeGuru

Drywall Man said:
Thank you, for the advice. Now if I go to court, do I have to be licensed to collect? I heard that if I dont have at least a maintianence and alterations license in Michigan,I would not be able to collect. I thought that as long as I just do drywall, that I dont have to have a license for anything under $600.00?
Does anybody know the answer to this?
**A: so what did the contractors license board tell you when you called them and asked?

D

Drywall Man

HomeGuru said:
**A: so what did the contractors license board tell you when you called them and asked?
I never called the board to ask them about this.
This information was told to me by other contractors, and friends.
I am thinking that I may have to write this one off as a learning experiance. :rolleyes:

HomeGuru

Drywall Man said:
I never called the board to ask them about this.
This information was told to me by other contractors, and friends.
I am thinking that I may have to write this one off as a learning experiance. :rolleyes:
**A: hello, are you really out there? Can you hear me? Can you hear me now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">