• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

long...long...nightmare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Beth1068

What is the name of your state? connecticut

sorry this is so long...alot of information...

Purchased a home in Nov 02 – part of the sale was for seller to hook up to city sewer because of a bad septic...the seller hired his own contractor and 1 1/2 times of the estimate was but in escrow.

We took ownership of the house 2 weeks before the work was started/completed.
As the contractor was working and after completion we took pictures of all the damage he caused to the property. He walked heavy equipment up the driveway causing it to crake and break apart, damaged & killed many trees, and left the front yard a mess with mud, asphalt (from the damaged driveway) and concrete. When we asked about the damage he laughed at us and told us he would give us a $500 credit toward him repairing the driveway – so the bill would come to about $3,400. And as far as the landscaping he stated for us to “put some seed on it”. We let him know that we would never be interested in him doing any work for us as we saw his workmanship.

We let the bank know about the damage and they told us that something would be worked out that we would get some money out of escrow to have the damage repaired. Snow was already covering everything when the bank said they were sending someone to access the damage – of course they could not see anything and it was to wait until spring. As soon as we could see the ground in the spring the bank sent out someone hired by them to take a look and estimate the damage (approx $5,000 - not including the many trees killed valued at over $6,000)..come to find out another month later they already paid the contractor a few months before (in February).

We talked to a lawyer today who told us that suing for the damages – aside from taking a couple of years – the money we (might) win would end up more going to legal fees and we might end up with a few dollars so it would not be worth it.

How can we let him get away with all this damage? How can we let the bank get away with releasing the money knowing full well they caused that much damage to the property?? How else can we get him to pay up on the damages his company caused??

Thank you for any advise you can give me!!!

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Beth1068 said:
What is the name of your state? connecticut

sorry this is so long...alot of information...

Purchased a home in Nov 02 – part of the sale was for seller to hook up to city sewer because of a bad septic...the seller hired his own contractor and 1 1/2 times of the estimate was but in escrow.

We took ownership of the house 2 weeks before the work was started/completed.
As the contractor was working and after completion we took pictures of all the damage he caused to the property. He walked heavy equipment up the driveway causing it to crake and break apart, damaged & killed many trees, and left the front yard a mess with mud, asphalt (from the damaged driveway) and concrete. When we asked about the damage he laughed at us and told us he would give us a $500 credit toward him repairing the driveway – so the bill would come to about $3,400. And as far as the landscaping he stated for us to “put some seed on it”. We let him know that we would never be interested in him doing any work for us as we saw his workmanship.

We let the bank know about the damage and they told us that something would be worked out that we would get some money out of escrow to have the damage repaired. Snow was already covering everything when the bank said they were sending someone to access the damage – of course they could not see anything and it was to wait until spring. As soon as we could see the ground in the spring the bank sent out someone hired by them to take a look and estimate the damage (approx $5,000 - not including the many trees killed valued at over $6,000)..come to find out another month later they already paid the contractor a few months before (in February).

We talked to a lawyer today who told us that suing for the damages – aside from taking a couple of years – the money we (might) win would end up more going to legal fees and we might end up with a few dollars so it would not be worth it.

How can we let him get away with all this damage? How can we let the bank get away with releasing the money knowing full well they caused that much damage to the property?? How else can we get him to pay up on the damages his company caused??

Thank you for any advise you can give me!!!
**A: get a 2nd and third opinion from other lawyers.

C

coffeytalk

we're going through it too!

We are going through the same situation. Our builder left cracks in the driveway, a huge dead oak tree and a yard that should have been zoned for swamp land. Over $10,000 later and a lot of hard work the builder hasn't lifted a finger to help us. I am now trying to pursue the cracked driveway. We have been fighting with the builder for over three years now and haven't gotten anywhere. Good luck! You're not alone-and if we get somewhere with our builder we'll let you know how it was done!

HomeGuru

Re: we're going through it too!

coffeytalk said:
We are going through the same situation. Our builder left cracks in the driveway, a huge dead oak tree and a yard that should have been zoned for swamp land. Over $10,000 later and a lot of hard work the builder hasn't lifted a finger to help us. I am now trying to pursue the cracked driveway. We have been fighting with the builder for over three years now and haven't gotten anywhere. Good luck! You're not alone-and if we get somewhere with our builder we'll let you know how it was done!
**A: you are not alone. Check out www.hadd.com

B

Beth1068

Thanks!!

i took your advise (homeguru) and decided to see other lawyers and also decided to sue anyway (the contractor and the bank) - i dont care if the lawyer ends up with whatever we win....the contractor will have us in his face fighting until he pays for what he did to us if it takes years....i have also but in complaints to the BBB as well as consumer protection.....i also will be filing one on the website you gave for HADD....

if you know of other agency's i can report to - that would be great...:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">