• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mechanics lein

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sue j

sue j said:
What is the name of your state? minnesota
a masonary guy did some work for us, he verbally told us it would not cost over certain amount. when the bill arrived it was nine hundred over what he said.no contract was ever signed, we asked for a estimate several times before the job started. we sent him the money for the amount we verbally agreed upon.he is saying i never said that.now he says he will put a lein on our property.he has not cashed the check we sent him.can he file a lein?and what does the lein mean and how long does it stay on the property??some one told me the lein is only good for a year,and that he would have to hire a attorney to get more money from us.is this true?

sue j

HomeGuru

Re: Re: mechanics lein

sue j said:
a masonary guy did some work for us, he verbally told us it would not cost over certain amount. when the bill arrived it was nine hundred over what he said.no contract was ever signed, we asked for a estimate several times before the job started. we sent him the money for the amount we verbally agreed upon.he is saying i never said that.now he says he will put a lein on our property.he has not cashed the check we sent him.can he file a lein?and what does the lein mean and how long does it stay on the property??some one told me the lein is only good for a year,and that he would have to hire a attorney to get more money from us.is this true?

sue j
**A: can you tell us why in the world you would even hire a contractor and give him money without a signed written contract?

S

sue j

we asked him for a written estimate but he never came thru,we needed this done in a hurry,so we went by what he said verbally.H did a good job and that's why I paid him what we quoted us.but can you answer my question on minnesota law about how long a lein lasts,and what really happens with a lein??does it affect our good credit ect....

HomeGuru

sue j said:
we asked him for a written estimate but he never came thru,we needed this done in a hurry,so we went by what he said verbally.H did a good job and that's why I paid him what we quoted us.

**A: oh.
but can you answer my question on minnesota law about how long a lein lasts,and what really happens with a lein??does it affect our good credit ect....

**A: contact your state contractors licensing board.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">