• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mechanics lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

willsounds

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

We have a 203k streamline loan and hired a GC. He did not complete a few items on his proposal (repair thermostat, gas logs, window locks, and vented wells) and I wrote him a letter to remove those items from the proposal; he agreed. I hired an HVAC company and propane company to complete the work and paid them in cash. After he had a plumber install a house water filter, I informed him it was the wrong filter that was stated in our contract. He said he was just going to take the water filter off the contract. I reminded the GC that he needed to remove the items that he did not complete from the proposal so the lender can issue the last payment. He said no, he wanted the whole sum from the proposal. He is now placing a lien on the house. Are we legally correct in our actions? Can we fight this lien?

OHRoadwarrior

Yes, you can challenge the lien and sue for any work he was paid for but did not complete. You will need to properly document these items and have them properly admitted as evidence.

MattSyTy

Merge parcel with Mechanics Lein?

I have a home re-build project coming up. I bought some additional parcels that made my building offsets more compliant, but unknowingly the parcels had both state and IRS contractors liens on them that will need to be re-filed in 4-5 years. My main concern is that I want to build a larger home footprint on my clear title parcel and that part of the footprint may extend into one of the parcels with a lien. Would that make my home liable to some kind of Judgment?

Additionally, If I was to merge the parcels into a single "Certificate of Compliance" parcel, would I also be liable later on?

I have looked into how to go about clearing the Contractors Lien for these very small parcels, but am wondering if it's worth it for a piece of land only worth a $1400?

It is just a major hassle. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">