• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mechanic's lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blane peters

I hired a pool contractor to replaster my pool.

- it took 4 weeks to complete yet their contract said 1 week.
- contractor demanded 50% ($2150.00) of total cost up front despite guideline of state contractors license board that it is illegal for a contractor to accept more than 10% or $1000 whichever is less. (didn't know until after the fact)
- refused to answer any of my wife's or my calls for 3 weeks assumed contractor had walked away from job.
- contractor admitted to me on the phone (on day that they finally showed up to finish the job) that he breached his contract by taking additional 2 weeks outside of securing necessary supplies.
- i told contractor on the day they showed up to finish the job that I demanded $500.00 discount or he was not to have his crew finish the work. they finished the work anyway.
- one of contractors crew members told our houseguests that they agreed to the discount.

-only proof i have is my word

Now contractor is saying that he never agreed to any discount and intends to put a lien on my house. This is absolutely WRONG and i want to fight but am afraid of losing more than the $500 in question.

Do I have a case?

Thanks.

B

blane peters

"Mechanic's Lien" part 2

Thank you for your response.

I was actually thinking what you suggested already but the contractor has already told me that if I don't pay the full amount he's going to put a lien on my house. Is this warranted? Would I be able to counter sue for "slander of title"? Am I getting ahead of myself?
Should I send the payment less the $500 and explain again how we came to this total and see if his bark is worse than his bite?

Best Regards,

Chris (california)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">