• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mechanic's lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bobbi29

Illinois
I hired a contractor to build a room addition on my home. He will not complete his punch list so I am withholding money. He kept a key and entered my home after I received a written letter he was done, to try and repair a window not shimmed properly. This was without my consent. There are still items on his punch list that he has not even attempted to correct. He as hired a attorney and put a mechanics lien on my home and has threatened to sue me. We did not have a written contract. He has done almost every thing under the table. Do I have any legal ground to stop this law suit. I really do not want the expense in going to court. Is there any thing I can do to stop this. Please give me some advise on my rights and some guide lines to follow.

HomeGuru

bobbi29 said:
Illinois
I hired a contractor to build a room addition on my home. He will not complete his punch list so I am withholding money. He kept a key and entered my home after I received a written letter he was done, to try and repair a window not shimmed properly. This was without my consent.

**A: you should have called the police and filed trespassing charges.

There are still items on his punch list that he has not even attempted to correct. He as hired a attorney and put a mechanics lien on my home and has threatened to sue me. We did not have a written contract.

**A: not written contract?
What were you thinking? Under the table, pay cash and save money? Was this contractor licensed? Did this contractor have liability insurance?

He has done almost every thing under the table. Do I have any legal ground to stop this law suit. I really do not want the expense in going to court. Is there any thing I can do to stop this. Please give me some advise on my rights and some guide lines to follow.
**A: of course you don't want the expense of going to court; no one does. You have counterclaims against this contractor and need to fight for your rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">