• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mechanic's Lien - no 20 day notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

EMS

California

I entered into a contract with a window replacement company several months ago. My interactions with the company were at many times strained due to (admitted) lack of proper communications within their organization.

Upon installation of the windows, all but $850 of nearly $12,000 had been paid. At that time, I stated that I was not satisfied with the work; specifically, some parts were broken or not working properly, and that many of the screens did not have the operating hardware that I was promised.

The contractor made one subsequent visit to perform repairs, then said the remainder of the work needed to be completed by the manufacturer. The manufacturer did come out within a reasonable period, but needed to order additional parts to complete the repair. To this date all of that repair has not been completed.

I continued to receive invoices and payment requests from the contractor. Upon receipt of each request, I contacted the contractor by telephone and explained that the final payment was not made because the work was not completed. At no time did they dispute this issue. On several occasions they even offered to help contact the manufacturer.

Two weeks after one such follow-up telephone call, I received a notice from the contractor that a Mechanic's Lien had been filed with the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder. No preliminary 20-day notice was sent. When I questioned this, they said they did not know that one was required.

The contractor refuses to admit any wrongdoing, despite acknowledging that I was in continual communication with them. I asked them to pursue an expungement of the lien, and they said the $500 legal fee was too costly.

I do not dispute the monies owed, and the work has now been completed to reasonable satisfaction. However, I am not willing to endure the blemish on my credit and property record due to this contractor's mistake and misunderstanding of legal procedure.

What recourse do I have?

Last edited:

E

EMS

Man, I did not DO anything. I made my post, edited one word about 5 minutes later. Really, that's it!

So, would you please repost your reply?

E

EMS

You said I deleted a post of yours, that apparetnly had some substance.

Would you please repost THAT reply.

E

EMS

There is another thread on this forum regarding Mechanic's Liens. It is not mine. Perhaps you've got me or this thread confused with that one.

I made my very first post on this site yesterday morning. It was the first time I have EVER been here.

I thought people like you were here to provide help because it's something you were concerned about, not to get upset or bent out of shape and get your ego in a bunch.

I did not delete my orignal post nor your message. I really need some assistance, please.

HomeGuru

EMS said:
There is another thread on this forum regarding Mechanic's Liens. It is not mine. Perhaps you've got me or this thread confused with that one.

I made my very first post on this site yesterday morning. It was the first time I have EVER been here.

I thought people like you were here to provide help because it's something you were concerned about, not to get upset or bent out of shape and get your ego in a bunch.

I did not delete my orignal post nor your message. I really need some assistance, please.
**A: Yes, I am here to help. But since you made those uncalled for comments, good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">