• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor charged with Domestic Violence 3rd

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maggie.rushing7

ALABAMA - Alright. I am a 17 year old female. Sunday evening, my fiance and I got into a verbal altercation. He started to push me, but before he touched me, I punched him in the face and cut him with my ring. On my police statement, I said that he pushed me first, which I believed until I calmed down and really got to looking back into what happened. Looking back, I realized he did not hit me, but he was going to. I intend to tell the judge this when we attend court. I am just wondering what kind of charges and punishment I can receive since I am a 17 year old female. I'm not emancipated, I just don't live with my parents. Help?

CdwJava

ALABAMA - Alright. I am a 17 year old female. Sunday evening, my fiance and I got into a verbal altercation. He started to push me, but before he touched me, I punched him in the face and cut him with my ring. On my police statement, I said that he pushed me first, which I believed until I calmed down and really got to looking back into what happened. Looking back, I realized he did not hit me, but he was going to. I intend to tell the judge this when we attend court. I am just wondering what kind of charges and punishment I can receive since I am a 17 year old female. I'm not emancipated, I just don't live with my parents. Help?
This is a class A misdemeanor that contains a minimum of 48 hours in jail (or, I suppose, juvenile hall). You can face a fine of up to $6,000 and jail time of up to one year for the offense.

Before you walk into court and confess to a crime that can result in a criminal record and the revocation of any firearms rights you might ever have had, you really should consult legal counsel. In fact, it is likely that a judge will not let you proceed once it appears clear that you are offering testimony that can get you thrown in jail.

Has anyone been arrested for this offense?

maggie.rushing7

This is a class A misdemeanor that contains a minimum of 48 hours in jail (or, I suppose, juvenile hall). You can face a fine of up to $6,000 and jail time of up to one year for the offense.

Before you walk into court and confess to a crime that can result in a criminal record and the revocation of any firearms rights you might ever have had, you really should consult legal counsel. In fact, it is likely that a judge will not let you proceed once it appears clear that you are offering testimony that can get you thrown in jail.

Has anyone been arrested for this offense?
Yes. My fiance was. I bailed him out the next morning. On my statement I said that he pushed me before I hit him, but now that I'm calm, I'm realizing that that is not what happened. He got in my face like he was going to push me, I dared him to put his hands on me, and as soon as I saw his hands coming toward me, I hit him...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It sounds like you were the aggressor in this matter and then you lied about it. Poor guy.

maggie.rushing7

It sounds like you were the aggressor in this matter and then you lied about it. Poor guy.
I'm sorry that's how it appears to you. I had blacked out. I am now trying to get the punishment that I deserve. It is not that I lied, because I honestly believed that he did put his hands on me. Looking back now that everything is said and done, I have realized that once I saw his hands raise to push me, I hit him. This is why I need the help. This is why I am asking what can happen to me. Because I love the "poor guy" and don't want to see him locked up for an argument that I started and something I have done. Thank you for your input though.

Eekamouse

I'm sorry that's how it appears to you. I had blacked out. I am now trying to get the punishment that I deserve. It is not that I lied, because I honestly believed that he did put his hands on me. Looking back now that everything is said and done, I have realized that once I saw his hands raise to push me, I hit him. This is why I need the help. This is why I am asking what can happen to me. Because I love the "poor guy" and don't want to see him locked up for an argument that I started and something I have done. Thank you for your input though.
Oh brother. If he didn't push you you, then you lied to the cops and told them he did. Now you are regretting lying to them because you are no longer mad at your boyfriend and want to take it back. Good luck with that. Are you starting to realize all the grief you've caused your boyfriend and all the legal trouble he is now in?

CdwJava

The explanation does not change the fact that you lied. You either lied originally when the police took the report, or you will be lying when you say he hit you first. Your testimony will be highly suspect off the bat.

And, I encourage you to speak with an attorney before you confess to a crime.

commentator

Quote: "I had blacked out."
Boo-shee, boo-shee, boo-shee!! Do not go to court with this silly story! Go to court and say your boyfriend got in your face and you thought he was going to hit you, so you hit him first. Or whatever. But "I blacked out" isn't going to fly anywhere. We all see that now you want to get your boyfriend out of this, and you're willing to take the load so he can fly free, in spite of the fact that every instinct you had told you this guy was going to hurt you, and you struck out first. Now you want him back, want it all to go away, so you are willing to take the weight of the whole business. I blacked out, and for some reason, I just went crazy and hit the guy. This does not sound like a relationship or a situation that is going to end up well for you, whether you get the jail time or not. Be honest. in fact, why don't you get an attorney to represent you? And get away from this pusher?

Just Blue

OP,

Why are you posting in the Construction/Renovation Forum?

There is a DV forum...Why didn't you post there? :confused::rolleyes:

maggie.rushing7

Quote: "I had blacked out."
Boo-shee, boo-shee, boo-shee!! Do not go to court with this silly story! Go to court and say your boyfriend got in your face and you thought he was going to hit you, so you hit him first. Or whatever. But "I blacked out" isn't going to fly anywhere. We all see that now you want to get your boyfriend out of this, and you're willing to take the load so he can fly free, in spite of the fact that every instinct you had told you this guy was going to hurt you, and you struck out first. Now you want him back, want it all to go away, so you are willing to take the weight of the whole business. I blacked out, and for some reason, I just went crazy and hit the guy. This does not sound like a relationship or a situation that is going to end up well for you, whether you get the jail time or not. Be honest. in fact, why don't you get an attorney to represent you? And get away from this pusher?
My question is, what will the consequences be? I put on the statement that he pushed me, so I hit him. It is going to look like I'm lying, when in fact, I thought that was what happened until I calmed down enough to realize that it isn't. So what will the consequences be? And It's not that I feel bad for anything, I know what I did, he was the one bleeding, and it would be wrong for him to go to jail for an argument I started and kept going until it got to this point. I just need to know what to be expecting before I walk into the court room.

CdwJava

My question is, what will the consequences be? I put on the statement that he pushed me, so I hit him. It is going to look like I'm lying, when in fact, I thought that was what happened until I calmed down enough to realize that it isn't. So what will the consequences be? And It's not that I feel bad for anything, I know what I did, he was the one bleeding, and it would be wrong for him to go to jail for an argument I started and kept going until it got to this point. I just need to know what to be expecting before I walk into the court room.
That is why you need to speak with a local attorney. The consequences can be jail time, probation, fines, a combination of the above, or maybe nothing at all. A local attorney can tell you how the local prosecutor treats these recantation yarns.

STEPHAN

The guy that hit you once will hit you again. Don't try to change the story to get him out of jail. This relationship is not good for you, no matter how much you "love" him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">