• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Must the contractor replace dropped door?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Idyl17

What is the name of your state?WA

Our contractor dropped a $2,000 slider onto a broken concrete patio.
The glass did not break but now he wants to sand out all the defects. We want him to replace the door given that, at best, we will be left with a factory second. Is he required to replace the door if we demand he do so, or are we required to accept his fix if it looks "good enough" (whatever that means)?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Idyl17 said:
What is the name of your state?WA

Our contractor dropped a $2,000 slider onto a broken concrete patio.
The glass did not break but now he wants to sand out all the defects. We want him to replace the door given that, at best, we will be left with a factory second. Is he required to replace the door if we demand he do so, or are we required to accept his fix if it looks "good enough" (whatever that means)?

**A: post a photo of the slider so we can take a look and see the damage if any.

Idyl17

I have photos but I can't post attachments.

At this point the damage is subtle. There are small pit marks left over after the sanding, the contouring of the door is no longer as crisp, one corner has been sanded so much it looks like the door is slighly mis-hung, and that same corner is still a bit of a mess and he must do more work on it. After he is done I know we will still notice the damage, as would the door people. The door in general is lovely (verticle grain fir) so I don't think anyone else would notice if it were not pointed out. We have another of the exact same door in the house so the differences are obvious to us.

Our point is that we did not go to a discount retailer or a bone yard to get an inexpensive or factory second door. We paid top dollar for a perfect, very expensive, beautifully contoured door. That is what we want. The second concern is the warrantee. What happens in two years if there is a problem with the door and the manufacturer says it was damaged in the fall? There is much more significant damage to the frame which will be covered by trim. We are all assuming this damage is just cosmetic but no one is sure of it.
Thanks.

HomeGuru

Idyl17 said:
I have photos but I can't post attachments.

At this point the damage is subtle. There are small pit marks left over after the sanding, the contouring of the door is no longer as crisp, one corner has been sanded so much it looks like the door is slighly mis-hung, and that same corner is still a bit of a mess and he must do more work on it. After he is done I know we will still notice the damage, as would the door people. The door in general is lovely (verticle grain fir) so I don't think anyone else would notice if it were not pointed out. We have another of the exact same door in the house so the differences are obvious to us.

Our point is that we did not go to a discount retailer or a bone yard to get an inexpensive or factory second door. We paid top dollar for a perfect, very expensive, beautifully contoured door. That is what we want. The second concern is the warrantee. What happens in two years if there is a problem with the door and the manufacturer says it was damaged in the fall? There is much more significant damage to the frame which will be covered by trim. We are all assuming this damage is just cosmetic but no one is sure of it.
Thanks.
**A: contact the door manufacturer and have a rep take a look at the door and advise you accordingly. You may aslo have a claim regarding the warranty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">