• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My neighbors water pipe

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

4276ricardo

What is the name of your state- Missouri

My neighbors water meter and water supply line to their house are on my property and run through my yard. I dug down less than 16" to level out the area where their pipe is so I could level it to expand my driveway. In doing so I found that their water pipe was not to depth according to code even before I removed the earth that I did. I did this in the spring. For the time being I put down gravel. A week or so ago their water pipe must have frozen and burst. I am trying to figure out if I am responsible for repairing the line or if they are due to the fact that it was not up to code in the first place.

justalayman

how do you know it wasn't up to code when it was originally installed and subsequent ground work removed some of the cover?

were they aware you removed some of the cover over their water line?

4276ricardo

Before I dug I did call 1800 dig rite and they came out and marked everything. The dirt that I removed plus the little that is still covering the pipe does not equal the depth that the pipe needs to be to be to code. They were aware that I did remove some of the cover from above their water line yes.

OHRoadwarrior

The problem seems to be you found the line and instead of reburying it, you covered it in gravel. Water would then accumulate around the pipe and freeze. I would say you are liable. That is the bad news. The good news is the repair might be easier than you think depending on the size of the line. You can buy repair clamps that slide on to a broken pipe, only requiring you cut and clean the pipe.

FarmerJ

You should call your city (#67 first then the number you want to be anonymous and decline to give out your name if asked) to learn if your city has a ordinance that requires water lines to be changed so they do not cross thru another persons property (if there is a failure or repair needed ) I get it that at one time their water line going thru your property may not have been a issue but if the city has a ordinance and wont allow repairs of lines serve someone else but cross thru another persons land and call for a line to be moved so it runs only thru the lot it serves. Find out ( seeing you mention a 16 inch depth made me LOL and shake my head but I gather you must be very very far south)

justalayman

Before I dug I did call 1800 dig rite and they came out and marked everything. The dirt that I removed plus the little that is still covering the pipe does not equal the depth that the pipe needs to be to be to code. They were aware that I did remove some of the cover from above their water line yes.
were they aware you actually uncovered the pipe

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">