• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

National Grid damaged my property, refusing to fix!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ricka77

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

National Grid has been doing a lot of work all over my neighborhood to update the natural gas main lines. This includes tearing up long stretches of road, doing the work and repaving.

However, I came home in early December to find that they had also tore up my near-mint condition driveway to re-locate the shut-off valve from buried, to surface level with a metal cap now in the middle of my driveway.

Firstly, I was never notified this was happening, and they did not have my permission to do anything. I understand a public utility has to do what it has to do, but I'm upset I wasn't even told they were going to do anything over my property line.

Second, they not only tore up the driveway and did a shoddy job of repaving, they came back out with a liquid sealer for the cut lines they left exposed, and wound up dripping it in multiple places, making a bigger eyesore. They also left scars in other parts of the driveway from their digging machines, and a few areas on my grass got tore up as well. I also noticed quite a few cracks that were not there before.

My question is, can I sue them to make replace my driveway, to have it be as nice as it was before they touched it? The re-paving job was chunk asphalt simply hot pressed into place, and isn't even level with the rest of the driveway, and it looks awful.

I'm trying to see if I can get an appraiser to come look and determine if property value is affected, but they are not cheap.

I have the driveway resealed every-other year to keep it black and clean, and protected.

So far, I have prepared a claim form and received one estimate to repair just the patched area. But after seeing it all in daylight, I think I'm due for a new driveway, and I also want the valve cap moved to the street. The guy I spoke to who runs the paving company said that was an oversight and probably could have been done at the initial time of work.

Sorry for long first post, but I don't know what else to do...aside from trying to afford a lawyer to discuss this with, which I can't afford right now..

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

OHRoadwarrior

That likely all fell within the utility easement. They did not need your permission. You can certainly request they come back and touch up the job, however a coat of sealer and some grass seed will likely cover most of it up. They are permitted to put the valve within the easement to code.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">