• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Roof Pitch Variance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slryno

What is the name of your state? MI

To make a long story short, we have owned a piece of vacant property in the City of Pontiac and want to place a manufactured home on this property that has a 3:12 roof pitch. Building Inspector was ready to approve building permit until City Planner got involved. City Planner states new roof pitch ordinance is 5:12. City Planner told us we need to go to Zoning Board of Appeals for Variance.

We've done our homework and other manufactured homes have been placed since this new ordinance was approved in 2000. We presented our case to the Zoning Board last month and they deferred our case till July 20, 2004. The reason they deffered is the City Planner did not have all the info we had been supplying to him...constantly misplacing our files.

Once again this past Monday, I supplied the City Planner with pics of homes showing non-conforming roof pitch, copies of HUD plaque on each manufactured home, new conventional construction roof pitches and letters from State of Michigan. On Tuesday he stated he now can't find this file.

I'm at my wits end with the Planner!!

We were told by the State that we don't even need to go in front of the Zoning Board but we don't want trouble/harrassment.

Any advice as how to proceed at this point for our upcoming Zoning Board of Appeals?

Thanks!

BelizeBreeze

Any advice as how to proceed at this point for our upcoming Zoning Board of Appeals?
Well, the obvious answer is, if the City Planner constantly loses your file, then take a copy of all the documents you've given him in the past, (not originals) and give it to him once again, saving the originals to take with you to the next meeting.

When the planner says he can't find the file, produce it and tell the commission you're tired of the constant ineptness of the city planner and demand a decision or you'll address the issue in court.

slryno

State of MI

Thanks for the advice! I will take an extra set of copies for the City Planner, just like last meeting.

slryno

State of MI

We were denied our variance last night...5 to 2, so now we're off to court.

We had 2 council members speak on our behalf to approve the variance, otherwise, the city will wind up paying for the construction of our home. That didn't work...2 of the 5 members specifically stated they changed the roof pitch variance to keep manufactured homes out of their district which is against State & Federal Law.

I'll keep everyone updated as to the outcome!

Thanks!

HomeGuru

slryno said:
State of MI

We were denied our variance last night...5 to 2, so now we're off to court.

We had 2 council members speak on our behalf to approve the variance, otherwise, the city will wind up paying for the construction of our home. That didn't work...2 of the 5 members specifically stated they changed the roof pitch variance to keep manufactured homes out of their district which is against State & Federal Law.

I'll keep everyone updated as to the outcome!

Thanks!
**A: does the district currently allow these types of homes?

slryno

State of MI

In response to Guru...yes, the district does allow these types of home but they require the roof pitch to be 5:12 for all houses. The problem is permits were issued after this new ordinance of 5:12 and we showed this evidence to the board but they denied stating they do not care!

We now move onward and upward...I'll keep you posted on our actions.

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">