• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbors back yard water problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

claman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ My new neighbor wants to fill in dirt in his back yard because its low and he has a bad water problem. Can he do that? It will make the water come on my property and now I don't get it

FarmerJ

Call your city ,county govt center in the morning and speak to zoning, what you want to know is if there are local ords that address landscaping issues that force drainage water to another property , many localities have ords that restrict owners from making changes that force rain run off onto other peoples lots. Once you know if there are any local ords then you can make some choices about how to proceed.

justalayman

You may not be able to do anything until after he fills in his yard. If it causes you damages, then you would be able to take action. Until then, it is only suspicion.

csi7

Take pictures with date of the area in question now.

The problem with drainage can be dealt with through public works, water management, or whatever the department is called in your location.

justalayman

=csi7;2550248]Take pictures with date of the area in question now.
good advice

The problem with drainage can be dealt with through public works, water management, or whatever the department is called in your location.
in my area that would be called the courthouse. The only means of seeking a remedy in my area would be to sue the party that caused the injury. OP might be in a similar situation.

csi7

If there is a public stormwater drainage system for the area, that department is responsible to ensure that no one's yard is getting flooded by rainwater drainage.

justalayman

If there is a public stormwater drainage system for the area, that department is responsible to ensure that no one's yard is getting flooded by rainwater drainage.
Simply not true.

The public utility company has no jurisdiction to act concerning how a private party alters their land unless it affects their system. From all presented, this has nothing to do with any possible public drainage system.

Hell, I could build a dam around my property and intentionally flood my house and the city would have no right to do a damn thing about it.

NC Aggie

Simply not true.

The public utility company has no jurisdiction to act concerning how a private party alters their land unless it affects their system. From all presented, this has nothing to do with any possible public drainage system.

Hell, I could build a dam around my property and intentionally flood my house and the city would have no right to do a damn thing about it.
You're absolutely right. Local government has no jurisdiction to address drainage/flooding issues that originate from or on private property. If this involved a flooding issue caused by runoff from public right of way, then the local jurisdiction could intervene.

But like other people have said, you really wouldn't be able to pursue the matter unless you can prove his actions has caused property or structural damage and unless the area he's filling in was of significant size, I wouldn't image it impacting drainage on your property too much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">