• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no cost help, repair etc.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

badaddidude

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
What am I exposing myself to by offering the following? How can I avoid problems?

I am offering to anyone needing help, my years of experience as an Electrician / General Contractor (retired).
I no longer hold my A, B, or C-10 License in the State of California
As a result of this, I cannot charge for my services and do not intend to.
I am offering my services to those truly in need.
I will not supply materials, nor make any profit on what I use.
I will tell you what you need and leave it up to you to provide what is required.
New construction I will not do, repairs only.
At times, in order to make something “code legal” new construction will be considered but not for 'home improvement” (equity increase)
Any work performed will be in a craftsmanship manner and code legal.

Thanks for any advice

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What am I exposing myself to by offering the following? How can I avoid problems?

I am offering to anyone needing help, my years of experience as an Electrician / General Contractor (retired).
I no longer hold my A, B, or C-10 License in the State of California
As a result of this, I cannot charge for my services and do not intend to.
I am offering my services to those truly in need.
I will not supply materials, nor make any profit on what I use.
I will tell you what you need and leave it up to you to provide what is required.
New construction I will not do, repairs only.
At times, in order to make something “code legal” new construction will be considered but not for 'home improvement” (equity increase)
Any work performed will be in a craftsmanship manner and code legal.

Thanks for any advice
Join a charity/program that does repairs for low income families. :cool:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
That is what I am trying to do, start a program to help others
Then start researching into setting up a charity program in your state. See what the Secretary of Your State has to say about charities. Then see what the IRS has to say about charities.

Then, you join a program that's already established, because they have people who have done the footwork. :cool:

adjusterjack

What am I exposing myself to by offering the following?
When something goes wrong you can, and will, be sued for injury to people or damage to property. You could spend tens of thousands on a lawyer to defend you or about $2000 to file for bankruptcy.

How can I avoid problems?
Buy the same contractor liability insurance you had when you were in business.

If you can't get the insurance anymore, join something like Habitat for Humanity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">