• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old story-lien threat

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

monami

What is the name of your state? Florida. My mother recently purchased a new home and I "hired" a man to come and do tree-trimming. The first day he showed up, he gave me a written quote, breaking down the costs of trimming the various trees. The quote stated that the dump fees were included in the quote and nowhere on the quote paperwork did it ask me to sign and no other contract was presented. To make a long story short, the man did not show up when promised, I spent two weeks calling him to come out. He finally came one day and worked for about 1 1/2 hours, then promised he'd come back and did not. We called him to fire him and he became argumentative and stated he was on his way over to finish the job. Only the threat of calling the police made him decide that he shouldn't come back over. He then told us that we owed him $600.00 for six hours of work that he didn't do. My brother refuted this, as he was there at the time they actually worked. The man said he charges $100.00 per hour and he worked about 3 hours and then had three hours at the dump run. I have no problem paying him for the time he actually worked, (I'll even round up to two hours), but now he is saying he is going to file a lien for $600.00. Can he do that without a signed contract? I feel like we are being extorted. Welcome to Florida.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">