• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Original Building Permits Missing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ld3

What is the name of your state? California
Our house was built in 1930. After living in it for the last 17 years,we found out that there are no records or building permits with the city, only permits for electric in 74 and sewer in 83. The new buyer wants to build a garage. Since our house is so old and there are no records, what is going to happen? It is 1350 sq ft. and after talking with neighbors that have been here for 30 years, we have concluded that the house has never been added on to, it is still 1350 sq ft.What happens in situations like this ? Can he get a permit.

S

seniorjudge

I don't suspect that this will be a big deal. If the city cannot find the original building permits, it seems that should have to assume that it is okay. Besides, the passage of time may render the whole matter moot.

HOWEVER, I am not a California attorney. CA has very weird laws on this stuff, so stand by for a better answer.

OR you could call the building permit people and ask them these questions.

ld3

Missing permits

Thanks. Tomorrow both realtors and the prospective buyer will be at City Hall meeting with the Director of Planning. We will see how things go.

CowCrazy

Might, or might not apply. Am in Calif., lived in current home for 30+ years. Until about 5 years ago we were in an unincorporated portion of the county. When annexed, none of the building permits that had been on record at the county were transferred to the city. Therefore, a portion of my home's past is simply not out there. I questioned my city and was told not to worry about it, something beyond my control. You might check and see if this might apply to your home, as well. Worth asking a question or two in the right places.

Good luck.

Cow ;-)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">