• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Our home is a disaster

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swtncgram

What is the name of your state?Here in Florida we weren't only hit by Charley once but twice.
Not only did we have to see the devastation that Charley did but now we have to relive it all over again at the hands of our "licensed contractors." The same "licensed contractors," who build up-scale homes in southwest Florida. Shoddy work, paint so watered down that it isn’t even the right color any more and wipes off the walls. They ordered doors for the lanai, of course they weren’t the ones we told them we wanted, but they took it upon themselves to decide what was best for us. So when we complained, they were put on another job and didn’t show up for a week. We gave them the specs for the doors, and as of yet (months not weeks,) we still don't have our doors. A door on the side of the garage was ordered, not our choice, it was the wrong size, so after attempting to try to make it fit they gave up and put the damaged one back up, they ruined the stucco around the frame, this was 6 weeks ago and we still don’t have a new door, what made me laugh was that we were told what we had up for a door was actually a door from a house trailer, (they had excuses for everything.) Cheap carpeting that we did not choose, that is fraying and coming up only after a few days, (some places the padding wasn't put under the carpet.) When we complained we are talked to like we are idiots and got belligerent answers saying that’s what we are getting and we have nothing to say about it. They told us if we were not happy we could redo it at our expense. We were so discussed with the work we went out and bought our own tile and grout just to be sure it was "what we wanted,." we were charged $344.00 for them to lay 27- 14 inch tiles. Their workers took siestas on our lanai, threw their garbage after lunch in our yard. They damaged the oven door, desk, dryer, vertical blinds and ceiling fans. My husband and I did all the clean up, floors, cabinets, doors and door frames, windows,(these were full of paint and texture) and our cedar lined closet, (also paint and texture spattered,) and we were charged for it. There were days that after the "supervisor" left the workers would pile into their truck and leave after 20 minutes, or retire to the lanai for another siesta, yet we were charged for a full day of work. When our shingles and roofing material were brought we were charged for 8 hours of work, (these 8 hours were only for delivery, not any actual work). When they did get to the point of actually working on the roof, this only took them 2 weeks, since they spent all of a hour or two working if that, they used torn and broken shingles. The roofing material was brought before Jeanne and put up on the roof, my husband told them not to leave it there since another hurricane was coming, but they did and the next day we found them scattered around the yard, broken and bent. I could not believe my eyes when I saw them using these broken shingles on our roof, but they told us they were in the business for 20 years and knew what they were doing. When they ran out of material, they actually crawled into the dumpster and pulled shingles out to put up on the roof.
These are only a few of the things were are having to deal with. Now our "dream" home, looks more like something in a nightmare and we are feeling like we are living in something a slumlord would be renting out. As far as the debris around the house, from the hurricane and from their work, well they said they would get to it when the "whole job" was done, well not wanting to live like this my husband and I kept cleaning up after them, although we did miss a few places and had a flat tire from dry wall screws and our lawn man had a couple flat tires on his mower from roofing staples in the yard ,and our granddaughter also stepped on one. We were assured that they only hire competent workers and sub contractors and did excellent work so we had nothing to complain about.

radale

FLORIDA

I could have written the same letter! I live in Port Charlotte, FL and my home too was destroyed by Charley. I have been through every concievable contractor nightmare trying to get my home rebuilt. I have already paid for all new windows, plumbing, electric, and roof and each contractor has done exceptionally shoddy work, left incredible messes, and destroyed the few areas of my house that were not destroyed by the hurricane! I don't want to go through any more hell so I think I'm going to sell "as is" and get out while I still have my sanity. Florida definitely needs to have a better system for policing the building contractors!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">