• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Painter ran off with deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rocbuyer

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I hired a painter to paint the outside of my house. I have given him $270 for deposit money, but have not heard from him in 3 weeks. All of his phone numbers are now disconnected so I have no way of contacting him.

He also made an attempt to paint my front door, but the end result was a door that looks as though it was vandalized (splattered paint on the area surronding the door, and paint drips on the door itself).

Is there anything I can do?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

rocbuyer said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

I hired a painter to paint the outside of my house. I have given him $270 for deposit money, but have not heard from him in 3 weeks. All of his phone numbers are now disconnected so I have no way of contacting him.

He also made an attempt to paint my front door, but the end result was a door that looks as though it was vandalized (splattered paint on the area surronding the door, and paint drips on the door itself).

Is there anything I can do?

My response:

Yes, there's something you can do . . . hire another painter. This time, hire a licensed painter.

IAAL

R

rocbuyer

Thank you for the response. It was quick if nothing else.

I am also looking for some creative ideas on how to deal with the situation. For example, is the cost to fix the "damage" that he did to the front door somehow tax deductible? Any ideas that go beyond common sense would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JETX

"I am also looking for some creative ideas on how to deal with the situation."
*** Sorry, but we do not do 'creative' for free.

"For example, is the cost to fix the "damage" that he did to the front door somehow tax deductible?"
*** No.

R

rocbuyer

So, are you saying that there are "creative" ways of dealing with the situation? If so, who should I consult in order to use this fee-based service?

JETX

Send your check ($1000 to start, rate is $250 per hour) to me at the Free Advice address.
I'll let you know as soon as I start.

R

rocbuyer

Jetx, if you want my business I need to know if you are a "licensed lawyer". IAAL told me to only hire licensed help from now on, and I plan on following his advice.

JETX

"So, are you saying that there are "creative" ways of dealing with the situation? If so, who should I consult in order to use this fee-based service?"
*** You do not need to be a licensed attorney to come up with 'creative' ways of dealing with your situation.

And no, I am not a licensed attorney in Michigan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">