• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parent building on my land?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Trippin30

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

Hello,

I have been looking for information regarding perhaps a complicated situation. My wife and I are looking to buy a home with a bit of property included. We have this idea that my Mother could have a small home built on the property that we purchase that could potentially save her some money. Some of you may know that it can be very difficult for single people, especially elderly, to live comfortably on just their income. Anyways...

I've read all sorts of information concerning the conflicts we could/will come across. I've read it can be done; I've read it can't be done.

My mother will not have the funding to purchase land away from me. I was honestly thinking I could potentially save her money by her avoiding property taxes, which I would handle. Would leasing the property work for this? Or would it be too difficult for her to get a home loan on a leased property?

Looking for advice-- really any at this point. Ideas, suggestions and/or recommendations are welcome. Has anyone done something like this with a parent or know of someone who has?

I refuse to believe this idea is "impossible". Difficult, sure.

Thanks to anyone who chimes in. And yes, I am very new to the real-estate game (also fairly young :p), and the permitting and legalities involved.

Thanks and take care!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

Hello,

I have been looking for information regarding perhaps a complicated situation. My wife and I are looking to buy a home with a bit of property included. We have this idea that my Mother could have a small home built on the property that we purchase that could potentially save her some money. Some of you may know that it can be very difficult for single people, especially elderly, to live comfortably on just their income. Anyways...

I've read all sorts of information concerning the conflicts we could/will come across. I've read it can be done; I've read it can't be done.

My mother will not have the funding to purchase land away from me. I was honestly thinking I could potentially save her money by her avoiding property taxes, which I would handle. Would leasing the property work for this? Or would it be too difficult for her to get a home loan on a leased property?

Looking for advice-- really any at this point. Ideas, suggestions and/or recommendations are welcome. Has anyone done something like this with a parent or know of someone who has?

Thanks to anyone who chimes in. And yes, I am very new to the real-estate game (also fairly young :p), and the permitting and legalities involved.

Thanks and take care!
Your mother wouldn't be doing anything. You would be the one(s) building another structure on your property (following all he permitting requirements, etc., that are required by the municipality). You would own it, which also means that you would finance it. You could charge your mom rent if you would like.

adjusterjack

It's not impossible. It's not even difficult. It just has a lot more to do with money than anything else.

Here are some alternatives:

1 - Buy a duplex - usually two separate, side by side dwellings connected by one common wall. You own both. You live in one side, she lives in the other.

2 - An alternative to a duplex is a two family, two story home where each story is a separate unit with a separate entrance.

3 - Buy a home that already has a guest house on the property.

4 - Buy a home on a lot that has enough room to build a guest house on the property.

5 - Buy land and build a home and a guest house.

Bottom line, though, is that you can select any of those alternatives or other alternatives provided you have (or can get or borrow) enough money to succeed with any of them.

And it's between you and your mother as to whether she contributes money or not.

Trippin30

Your mother wouldn't be doing anything. You would be the one(s) building another structure on your property (following all he permitting requirements, etc., that are required by the municipality). You would own it, which also means that you would finance it. You could charge your mom rent if you would like.
Thanks for your feedback.

So, she couldn't build a house on my property using her funding, is that what you're saying? No way around it?

Trippin30

It's not impossible. It's not even difficult. It just has a lot more to do with money than anything else.

Here are some alternatives:

1 - Buy a duplex - usually two separate, side by side dwellings connected by one common wall. You own both. You live in one side, she lives in the other.

2 - An alternative to a duplex is a two family, two story home where each story is a separate unit with a separate entrance.

3 - Buy a home that already has a guest house on the property.

4 - Buy a home on a lot that has enough room to build a guest house on the property.

5 - Buy land and build a home and a guest house.

Bottom line, though, is that you can select any of those alternatives or other alternatives provided you have (or can get or borrow) enough money to succeed with any of them.

And it's between you and your mother as to whether she contributes money or not.
Great, thanks for the reply! This was very helpful. It sounds like money will certainly be the biggest issue.

Yeah, I guess we are leaning towards #4, but I am unsure if my Wife and I can afford to do that (or get approved, rather).

We are doing some preliminary stuff right now, but at least I know it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Thanks again:)

FarmerJ

ORRRRRRRRR maybe you can explore her buying a mobile /manufactured home to put on your land but I suspect your county may require that a second home have its own septic system if its in a rural area. this way you could lease to her for nominal amount this way at the end of her life if there are other heirs then there wont be as much hassle if its a manufactured home since if another heir wanted it then it would have to be moved off your land for them to have it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">