• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

physical threat from contractor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

illinoishome

What is the name of your state? Illinois
A contractor recently threatened to flatten me while we stood on my front lawn. I had a dispute over the quality of routine spot tuckpointing by a masonry contractor, done late this summer. The new concrete grout cracked literally within 4 days of the job. I felt because it happened so quickly, it had to be a problem with the application. After some initial reistance, the company made 1 attempt at repairs (about 7 areas on one wall of the house). Half the repairs held, but half re-cracked, again in under a week! By letter, I requested a second repair, based on the same reasoning. Instead, the co-owner called me (my first contact with him). He was insulting and abusive on the phone, then suddenly changed tactics and offerred to come inspect it. Later that week, he came to my house and was quickly abusive again, swearing at me and shouting over my explanations. At that point I asked him half a dozen times to leave. He flat-out refused, challanging me 3 separate times to "go ahead and call the cops.." . At one point as we argued about him leaving, he actually clenched his fist in my face, saying he would "hit me SO hard"... I have dealt with a fair number of contractors over the last 1-2 years on my house, but never anything like him. He finally left the property. I sent a same-day fax and letter to the company detailing his behavior and physical threat and directing them not to come on my property. I discussed the incident with a friend that day but decided not to file a police report, partly because I didn't want a big fuss and partly because I didn't want to inflame him further. However, I believe later in the week he came back to the property despite my written instructions. At that point I did file the police report about the original incident/threat. The company has not responded to my call or letter, and instead has filed a lien against my house for the balance + growing interest ($1500+).

1) What should be my first response to the lien? I've found lots of info on the web about how a contractor can FILE a lien, but nothing about how a homeowner defends against one. At this point I don't even really want them on the property to do the repairs given how he acted. My goal is to get the lien released and to find someone else to do the work in the Spring.

2) Your honest opinion on the utility of a counter-suit/small claims with a wise-guy like this? Looking back on the preceeding phone call and his immediate blow-up at the house, I don't think he came intending to find a solution---I think he came to intimidate. There are some other shady goings-on surrounding the company that I won't go into, but you get the idea.

I appreciate any input on how to handle this guy and the lien. Thanks
Rattled in Chicago.

Ciarraine

illinoishome said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois
A contractor recently threatened to flatten me while we stood on my front lawn. I had a dispute over the quality of routine spot tuckpointing by a masonry contractor, done late this summer. The new concrete grout cracked literally within 4 days of the job. I felt because it happened so quickly, it had to be a problem with the application. After some initial reistance, the company made 1 attempt at repairs (about 7 areas on one wall of the house). Half the repairs held, but half re-cracked, again in under a week! By letter, I requested a second repair, based on the same reasoning. Instead, the co-owner called me (my first contact with him). He was insulting and abusive on the phone, then suddenly changed tactics and offerred to come inspect it. Later that week, he came to my house and was quickly abusive again, swearing at me and shouting over my explanations. At that point I asked him half a dozen times to leave. He flat-out refused, challanging me 3 separate times to "go ahead and call the cops.." . At one point as we argued about him leaving, he actually clenched his fist in my face, saying he would "hit me SO hard"... I have dealt with a fair number of contractors over the last 1-2 years on my house, but never anything like him. He finally left the property. I sent a same-day fax and letter to the company detailing his behavior and physical threat and directing them not to come on my property. I discussed the incident with a friend that day but decided not to file a police report, partly because I didn't want a big fuss and partly because I didn't want to inflame him further. However, I believe later in the week he came back to the property despite my written instructions. At that point I did file the police report about the original incident/threat. The company has not responded to my call or letter, and instead has filed a lien against my house for the balance + growing interest ($1500+).

1) What should be my first response to the lien? I've found lots of info on the web about how a contractor can FILE a lien, but nothing about how a homeowner defends against one. At this point I don't even really want them on the property to do the repairs given how he acted. My goal is to get the lien released and to find someone else to do the work in the Spring.

2) Your honest opinion on the utility of a counter-suit/small claims with a wise-guy like this? Looking back on the preceeding phone call and his immediate blow-up at the house, I don't think he came intending to find a solution---I think he came to intimidate. There are some other shady goings-on surrounding the company that I won't go into, but you get the idea.

I appreciate any input on how to handle this guy and the lien. Thanks
Rattled in Chicago.
One thing you might consider doing is filing a complaint with the licensing authority.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">