• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plot wording, Can I build a detached 2 car garage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rstemen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I am interested in purchasing a home, but I really need to buy one where I can construct a separate garage for my hobbies (building a plane).
The home I'm interested in is in an older subdivision circa 1973, the home has an attached 2 car garage, and the plot drawing has the following wording: "ALL LOTS IN THIS SUBDIVISION SHALL BE KNOWN AND DESCRIBED AS RESIDENTIAL LOTS. NO STRUCTURES SHALL BE ERECTED PLACED OR PERMITTED TO REMAIN ON ANY RESIDENTIAL BUILDING PLOT OTHER THAN ONE DETACHED SINGLE FAMILY DWELLING NOT TO EXCEED TWO STORIES IN HEIGHT AND A GARAGE FOR NOT MORE THAN TWO (2) CARS."
The town zoning allows a detached structure, but I'm not sure how to interpret the plot map wording.
Thanks for any assistance!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I am interested in purchasing a home, but I really need to buy one where I can construct a separate garage for my hobbies (building a plane).
The home I'm interested in is in an older subdivision circa 1973, the home has an attached 2 car garage, and the plot drawing has the following wording: "ALL LOTS IN THIS SUBDIVISION SHALL BE KNOWN AND DESCRIBED AS RESIDENTIAL LOTS. NO STRUCTURES SHALL BE ERECTED PLACED OR PERMITTED TO REMAIN ON ANY RESIDENTIAL BUILDING PLOT OTHER THAN ONE DETACHED SINGLE FAMILY DWELLING NOT TO EXCEED TWO STORIES IN HEIGHT AND A GARAGE FOR NOT MORE THAN TWO (2) CARS."
The town zoning allows a detached structure, but I'm not sure how to interpret the plot map wording.
I'm not sure why you are confused. The wording is clear. There can be a dwelling and a garage, both of which are currently present.

The "single family dwelling" in the description seems rather self-evident.

rstemen

I'm not sure why you are confused. The wording is clear. There can be a dwelling and a garage, both of which are currently present.
Thanks for the reply. I was confused because I thought an interpretation could be: "other than one single family dwelling and a garage". The existing garage being a part of the single family dwelling.

rstemen

By the way

By the way, the development, which is approximately 50 homes, has may detached sheds, probably about every other house has one. So, could this give me some leeway?

Zigner

By the way, the development, which is approximately 50 homes, has may detached sheds, probably about every other house has one. So, could this give me some leeway?
You haven't even bought the place yet.

Zigner

That is correct. The question regarding the garage will decide whether I proceed with purchasing the home.
You've received our interpretation of the restrictions. You will need to check with the local municipality and also with any existing HOA. You may also wish to consult with a local real estate attorney. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">