• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plumber broke pipe using snake.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

punkinsmom

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ohio

I need to know who's liable for damage caused when a plumber snaked my clogged bathtub drainpipe.

In a nutshell, the plumber put a hole in the pipe when he snaked it, causing water damage in the bathroom of the unit below mine (i own a condo). To get at and replace the now-broken pipe, plumber had to cut a hole in that owner's bathroom ceiling, so in addition to replacing broken pipe, plumber also had to repair/plaster the other owner's ceiling. Plumber gave estimate for whole thing (new pipe, ceiliing, etc.) of $500. We just received a bill for $1,500, and feel we shouldn't have to pay the extra $1,000, especially since he caused the damage by breaking the pipe.

We did not sign a contract (he was recommended by other tenants, including condo assoc. board member), plumber has liability coverage, but his license is expired. After I told him I didn't think we should have to pay for his fixing the damage he caused, he threatened to put a lien on the property.

Am I liable for the full bill? My insurance co. says no, plumber, of course says yes, that ANYONE knows a pipe can break when snaked and that we took a risk. He did NOT mention that risk before he snaked.

HomeGuru

punkinsmom said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ohio

I need to know who's liable for damage caused when a plumber snaked my clogged bathtub drainpipe.

In a nutshell, the plumber put a hole in the pipe when he snaked it, causing water damage in the bathroom of the unit below mine (i own a condo). To get at and replace the now-broken pipe, plumber had to cut a hole in that owner's bathroom ceiling, so in addition to replacing broken pipe, plumber also had to repair/plaster the other owner's ceiling. Plumber gave estimate for whole thing (new pipe, ceiliing, etc.) of $500. We just received a bill for $1,500, and feel we shouldn't have to pay the extra $1,000, especially since he caused the damage by breaking the pipe.

We did not sign a contract (he was recommended by other tenants, including condo assoc. board member), plumber has liability coverage, but his license is expired. After I told him I didn't think we should have to pay for his fixing the damage he caused, he threatened to put a lien on the property.

Am I liable for the full bill? My insurance co. says no, plumber, of course says yes, that ANYONE knows a pipe can break when snaked and that we took a risk. He did NOT mention that risk before he snaked.
**A: what type of snake was he using, the one on the movie Anaconda? How old is your building and what type of drain/waste pipes does your building have ie. cast iron, clay, ABS etc. and what was the condition of the pipes.

punkinsmom

Reply to Homeguru

The pipes are cast-iron. Original pipes from the early 50s. KInda rusty at the joints (we have the pipe in our garage).

HomeGuru

punkinsmom said:
The pipes are cast-iron. Original pipes from the early 50s. KInda rusty at the joints (we have the pipe in our garage).

**A: common sense dictates that it is not the plumber's fault.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">