• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

poor cement work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

na1979

What is the name of your state? Michigan

In August of 2002, we had a new driveway poured. Within 8 months, we noticed that the upper layer of cement appeared to be lifting up and upon touching it, the cement would 'crumble'. We contacted the cement contractor who came out to the house and reviewed his work. He agreed that it was not good and that although his schedule was a busy one, he'd be out before the end of the season to repair it. (This contractor had also done my neighbors driveway and THAT driveway exhibits the same condition - just not to the extent of our driveway).

This year, the cement damage is MUCH more extensive. While I do have a contract from the cement contractor, I'd like to know if I should pursue this in court or approach the contractor again. The cost involved in my driveway is $10K+

Please advise
Thank you

HomeGuru

na1979 said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

In August of 2002, we had a new driveway poured. Within 8 months, we noticed that the upper layer of cement appeared to be lifting up and upon touching it, the cement would 'crumble'. We contacted the cement contractor who came out to the house and reviewed his work. He agreed that it was not good and that although his schedule was a busy one, he'd be out before the end of the season to repair it. (This contractor had also done my neighbors driveway and THAT driveway exhibits the same condition - just not to the extent of our driveway).

This year, the cement damage is MUCH more extensive. While I do have a contract from the cement contractor, I'd like to know if I should pursue this in court or approach the contractor again. The cost involved in my driveway is $10K+

Please advise
Thank you
**A: yes, and this time get the agreement in writing. By the way, the proper word would be concrete, not cement. Cement is a component of concrete.

lwpat

The cost to remove and replace the driveway could easily exceed the original installation. My suggestion would be for you and your neighbor to contact an attorney who will review your contracts and advise you how to proceed.

My concern is that the contractor will delay you beyond any warranty period in your contract or even go out of business. The concrete supplier also needs to be notified and perform their own investigation into the problem.

Based on your post it would appear to be the contractor's fault but actual testing may be needed to determine if the concrete reached design strength. I would also involve the supplier in deciding the remedy and not just rely on the contractor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">