• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

preventing problems with a builder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dawell0

What is the name of your state? OH

We have been trying to build a house on our own lot with a custom builder. Long story short, we have been working with an attorney to get rid of the first builder because there have been nothing but problems and we only have basement walls completed. With the first contract, we had no exit clause so we are going to lose money because they consider us breaching the contract (although we think that they breached the contract with the poor quality workmanship). Anyhow, what recommendations does anyone have so that we are able to prevent such problems in the future, other than checking on the construction progress frequently and having a real estate attorney look at the contract and including an exit clause? THANKS!

IntraSpec2003

It sounds as though you need an expert in construction and codes to evaluate your project. All defects and code violations should be documented and presented to your attorney for possible litigation. I happen to own/operate an inspection company that provides this kind of service.

If you have an opportunity, visit www.intra-spechomeinpsections.com for more details.

Best Regards,

Intra-Spec Home Inspections
& Code Consulting, LLC
859-586-4591

dawell0

Thanks for your info, but we have had 2 separate inspectors (both certified, one the best in town according to our law firm) evaluate the problems, pronounce it to have structural problems, and we are still going to lose with our attorney on our foundation problem. We are also at one of the best law firms in town. Evidentally, the work is not so subpar to result in material breach of contract which I still don't see how. Also, the builder disagrees with both structural engineers that there are structural problems because he thinks that cold joints are not going to cause problems. I guess that in our case it is an issue because there is a walkout basement. I don't understand but I guess Ohio law protects the builders. I am just thankful that this happened with the foundation walls before any further work was done on top of it so that we can demolish and begin again. But, that's a story for outside of this forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">