• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probably Nothing I Can Do... BUT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Steil

What is the name of your state? New York (Long Island)

My apartment complex has decided to do renovations on the exterior of our building. They are tearing down the brick, putting in new windows, new air-conditioner sleeves and new siding. They began work at the end of April/beginning of May. They don't expect to be done before the end of the summer. The new siding will look much better than the brick.. but I have heard from others in my complex who have had the renovations done that they will jack our rent up an extra hundred dollars at the end of our lease term for the pleasure of the attractive look. This annoys me because I am subjected to having a REALLY UGLY building for a minimum of 4/5 months without any compensation. BUT that isn't even the problem.

The PROBLEM is that the contractors start work at 8am. I am currently staying home with my 2 year old and am 8 months pregnant. The contractors use sledgehammers and God knows what else beginning at 8am. It is impossible to put my son down for his nap at his usual time anymore. The right to reasonable peaceful enjoyment seems to be foregone. I do not like the idea of these strange men having full access to my apartment while they are changing the windows. It makes me uncomfortable to be home alone while this is going on.. but clearly I have no choice in the matter.

More disturbing is an incident that happened a week and a half ago. My son was playing in his room when I heard glass shatter. I ran to his room as he was running OUT of the room screaming. Somehow one of the workers had managed to smash in his nursery room window, which sent giant shards of glass into his room. This made me livid. Two men - who didn't speak English well - knocked on my door a while later and requested permission to come in and clean the glass. I let them in and they left about 10 minutes later telling me the room was okay. They had moved all of his toys that were by the window to the center of the room and left them there. They had cleaned up a lot of the glass, but there was still a lot in his toy bins, on the floor, on his toys, around the radiator. I wouldn't allow my son in his room until my husband came home and made sure that all the glass was totally gone. My son is STILL afraid to play alone in his room. This pisses me off. He could have been seriously hurt... he could have been killed.

I spoke with the super about contacting the management company and he basically told me he was sorry about what happened, but that all the management company would do, would be to refer the incident back to him - and that there was really nothing he could do other than apologize and tell the men to fix the window. It is almost 2 weeks later and the way they 'fixed' the window was to afix a piece of black garbage liner to the broken area with duct tape to keep the rain out. I live on the ground floor and I feel like this is a tantamount to a formal invitation telling people "Hey, check it out - you can enter my apartment here!"

So, I am assuming that I have no rights in this situation. I am guessing that there is no way I can get compensated for the aggravation and the endangerment to my child... but I figured I would post anyway to see if anyone had any ideas.

HomeGuru

Steil said:
What is the name of your state? New York (Long Island)

My apartment complex has decided to do renovations on the exterior of our building. They are tearing down the brick, putting in new windows, new air-conditioner sleeves and new siding. They began work at the end of April/beginning of May. They don't expect to be done before the end of the summer. The new siding will look much better than the brick.. but I have heard from others in my complex who have had the renovations done that they will jack our rent up an extra hundred dollars at the end of our lease term for the pleasure of the attractive look. This annoys me because I am subjected to having a REALLY UGLY building for a minimum of 4/5 months without any compensation. BUT that isn't even the problem.

The PROBLEM is that the contractors start work at 8am. I am currently staying home with my 2 year old and am 8 months pregnant. The contractors use sledgehammers and God knows what else beginning at 8am. It is impossible to put my son down for his nap at his usual time anymore. The right to reasonable peaceful enjoyment seems to be foregone. I do not like the idea of these strange men having full access to my apartment while they are changing the windows. It makes me uncomfortable to be home alone while this is going on.. but clearly I have no choice in the matter.

More disturbing is an incident that happened a week and a half ago. My son was playing in his room when I heard glass shatter. I ran to his room as he was running OUT of the room screaming. Somehow one of the workers had managed to smash in his nursery room window, which sent giant shards of glass into his room. This made me livid. Two men - who didn't speak English well - knocked on my door a while later and requested permission to come in and clean the glass. I let them in and they left about 10 minutes later telling me the room was okay. They had moved all of his toys that were by the window to the center of the room and left them there. They had cleaned up a lot of the glass, but there was still a lot in his toy bins, on the floor, on his toys, around the radiator. I wouldn't allow my son in his room until my husband came home and made sure that all the glass was totally gone. My son is STILL afraid to play alone in his room. This pisses me off. He could have been seriously hurt... he could have been killed.

I spoke with the super about contacting the management company and he basically told me he was sorry about what happened, but that all the management company would do, would be to refer the incident back to him - and that there was really nothing he could do other than apologize and tell the men to fix the window. It is almost 2 weeks later and the way they 'fixed' the window was to afix a piece of black garbage liner to the broken area with duct tape to keep the rain out. I live on the ground floor and I feel like this is a tantamount to a formal invitation telling people "Hey, check it out - you can enter my apartment here!"

So, I am assuming that I have no rights in this situation. I am guessing that there is no way I can get compensated for the aggravation and the endangerment to my child... but I figured I would post anyway to see if anyone had any ideas.
**A: post too long with details not relevant to the case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">