• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Damage from faulty plumber hired by contractor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Freiter

We are in California. We had our 2nd floor bathrooms remodeled a few months ago. Last week our new bathtub leaked into our first floor dining room. The water cracked our plaster ceiling, paint , not to mention whatever water damage was done inside the ceiling of our diningroom which is directly under the bathroom. The contractor is blaming the plumber. The plumber is blaming me. He says I probably broke the toggle in the drain by standing on it when it was in the "up" position.; I guess which loosened something causing the drain to leak. I want to know what rights we have. Who is at fault and will repair all the plumbing damage and water, plaster and paint damage. Do we need to open the ceiling to inspect for damage? Do we need to hire an inspector from the city? The contractor also never did a final inspection of the house after the remodel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">