• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property damage by supplier

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FWD

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

I am a subcontractor who provides drywall services. My Drywall supplier damaged a public Seattle city sidewalk while delivering the drywall to a customer at a residence. Who is responsible for making sure this repair is handled properly thru the city guidelines and the customers satisfaction?

The General Contractor
The sub contractor
The supplier

The supplier has said just send a bill for the repairs made.
The general says for the subcontractor to figure out what the right repairs are and make it happen.
The Sub contractor says I am the middle man why do I need to figure out the solution.

Preface this with fixing a Seattle sidewalk is not as simple as just fixing the damaged area. You will need a permit and possibly be responsible for all of the sidewalk in front of the house because of codes.

In the meantime the subcontractor says I will contact the city and see if I can get them to give me an assessment for a proper repair in this situation. The city has not responded to any of the contacts phone calls or e mails. However they have sent somebody out to the site and done a repair. Not knowing this the sub contractor was contacted by the general contractor and told that this repair is unsatisfactory and to get it handled. The General stated that it would be best to go in person and see them and that if I could not do that she could do it and charge me $35 per hr for a consultant fee. So here I am the middle guy trying to help.

So who is legally responsible for getting this situation handled and the sidewalk repaired. Thanks for any thoughts

OK-LL

I'd send a certified letter to the City requesting contact for guidelines on making the repair. If they continue not to respond, I would table it. And first and foremost, I would have the supplier doing all of this contacting, etc. He's the party responsible for the damage.

Dave1952

If I'm following you, you contacted the city and they repaired the sidewalk. So far no one has been billed for this but the drywall supplier has agreed to pay for the repair. Get that agreement in writing and wait for a bill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">