• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property line and gas meter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

biz_e_mom

What is the name of your state? Missouri
We purchased a home last October. We have our survey from closing. The problem is we want to put a privacy fence up around our entire back yard and place it on our property line. According to the local laws we do not have to have a permit. However a home on the side street adjoins our backyard. This adjoing yard only has 2 feet of property between the back of the house and our property line. We talked with the owner and advised him of our intention of placing the privacy fence. He claims we cannot do that because he has to have access to his house for repairs and his gas meter is on the rear of his house. We advised him to have his gas meter relocated. He claims he will sue us if we place the fence. Can we place our new privacy fence and stand firm that it is his responciblity to relocated gas meter?:(

HomeGuru

biz_e_mom said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri
We purchased a home last October. We have our survey from closing. The problem is we want to put a privacy fence up around our entire back yard and place it on our property line. According to the local laws we do not have to have a permit. However a home on the side street adjoins our backyard. This adjoing yard only has 2 feet of property between the back of the house and our property line. We talked with the owner and advised him of our intention of placing the privacy fence. He claims we cannot do that because he has to have access to his house for repairs and his gas meter is on the rear of his house. We advised him to have his gas meter relocated. He claims he will sue us if we place the fence. Can we place our new privacy fence and stand firm that it is his responciblity to relocated gas meter?:(
**A: install the fence with a gate so there is access to his gas meter and to his house. Install a lock and give me one of the keys.

B

biz_e_mom

This would not work in our situation. We have two large dogs that have the run of our backyard, and secondly this neighbor has questionable people at his home all hours of day and night and I cannot trust him with a key to my yard and possible entrance to my home and garage. But thanks for the suggestion. :rolleyes:

Souix

biz_e_mom said:
This would not work in our situation. We have two large dogs that have the run of our backyard, and secondly this neighbor has questionable people at his home all hours of day and night and I cannot trust him with a key to my yard and possible entrance to my home and garage. But thanks for the suggestion. :rolleyes:

**I think you misunderstood HGuru's response, he said to give him (HomeGuru) one of the keys not the other homeowner.

But in all seriousness, I think your issue is with the gas company. They have an easement over the property to get to their equipment to read the meter. Call the gas company and see what they have to say. They might allow you to put up your fence, but they may also request that they have access to the meter in some way.**

HomeGuru

On second thought, give my key to the gas company.
Also check with the building department regarding access for your neighbor.

B

biz_e_mom

Hey Thanks very much guys. I contacted the gas company and the local buliding office. I have no concerns. Was advised by both to give other person 30 day notification to allow him time to have any changes done. Both the gas company and the local building department told me after that put up my fence, they have not problems with me. Thanks again. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">