• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Line Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

haddam1034

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? CT

I recently constructed a small, temporary shed at my new home. I have less than a 1/3 of an acre so the shed is very close to my rear property line and my neighbor is having a fit about it. Is there a law as to the distance a "temporary" structure has to be from the property line? Can my neighbor make me take it down?

nextwife

What is the name of your state?

Don't know. What are the regulations of your subdivision. HOA, or municipality regarding sheds and outbuildings?

In some places (like where I live) there are restrictions by the village/city/town regulating placement, appearance and approval of such structures. Especially when visable to the neighbor. There are also sometimes "setback lines" restricting where any structure may be in relation to a lot line.

Did you research the applicable regs before building this so that you would be in compliance?

H

haddam1034

I am located in CT...My husband and I are 24, we just bought this house and we didn't do any research because like I said it is just temporary (it houses his quad and dirtbike) until we can afford something permanent, I also didn't think there would be a problem because it is on our property and is only slightly visible from our neighbors house. We are going to the town hall tomorrow - I think this guy is just trying to intimidate us because we are young.

Thanks for such a quick reply!! :)

nextwife

What is the name of your state?

Well, he may or may not have a valid complaint, which may have nothing to do with your age and all to do with what is or is not permitted. Even when built on your property, there may be both recorded deed restrictions and municipal building, set-back, etc. ordinances that set out what may be built where. In my village, for example, even a playgym or pool must be within certain side yard "set-backs" off the lot line and no "outbuildings" are permitted.

Check both your title policy (review it for any deed restrictions) and your town hall. Then you will be in a better position to know whether your structure is allowed.

Good luck.

K

krispenstpeter

And your first call on Monday morning should be to the zoning commission of your county or your city building codes office for the setback. It doesn't matter if the building is permanent or temporary. Normally, setbacks are 5 feet or more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">