• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rain During Re-Roofing Job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RickeyBerry

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

It rained during the re-roofing of my house. In some areas of the roof, felt was exposed. In some areas, decking with no felt was exposed, and there was a fairly large area where the workers had everything torn off. Instead of stopping and covering the roof with a tarp, they continued to install decking and felt in this area. We received .6 inches of rain from that cloud. When they got the decking and felt installed in the area they were working, they left for the day, because it was late in the day and still raining. There is an East/West slope and a North South slope. When the workers left, the East/West slopes were about half shingled with felt exposed on the remainder, the North/South slopes were about one-forth singled with felt exposed on the remainder. In the area where they were working, the decking got wet as they installed it, and the felt, which is a water barrior, got wet and was layed on top of a wet deck. The workers returned the next morning and continued to apply shingles to damp felt.

It seems to me that trapping moisture under the shingles, and especially between the felt and decking is a bad idea. The roofer says it's not a problem. Should I make an issue of this? Should I go ahead and pay the roofer?

HomeGuru

RickeyBerry said:
What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

It rained during the re-roofing of my house. In some areas of the roof, felt was exposed. In some areas, decking with no felt was exposed, and there was a fairly large area where the workers had everything torn off. Instead of stopping and covering the roof with a tarp, they continued to install decking and felt in this area. We received .6 inches of rain from that cloud. When they got the decking and felt installed in the area they were working, they left for the day, because it was late in the day and still raining. There is an East/West slope and a North South slope. When the workers left, the East/West slopes were about half shingled with felt exposed on the remainder, the North/South slopes were about one-forth singled with felt exposed on the remainder. In the area where they were working, the decking got wet as they installed it, and the felt, which is a water barrior, got wet and was layed on top of a wet deck. The workers returned the next morning and continued to apply shingles to damp felt.

It seems to me that trapping moisture under the shingles, and especially between the felt and decking is a bad idea. The roofer says it's not a problem. Should I make an issue of this? Should I go ahead and pay the roofer?
**A: it is ia problem. Hire a certified roofing inspector.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">