• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renovation warrenty or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zebra900

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I recently bought a condo that had just been renovated. As part of the Purchase & Sale there was a warrenty on the renovations. Not long after closing a huge plumbing problem became apparent. A simple description would be that due to the building not being lived in for a year or so while under renovation - a bunch of crap in the pipes hardened and blocked them up (some water could get through so it wasn't seen during the inspection, but when the washer was installed and shower/dishwasher started running on a regular basis, everything quickly backed up). The pipe that was blocked was original in the building (from about 100 years ago). My question is if this should have been covered under the warrenty, or since these pipes were not replaced if it is just considered a pre-existing condition? I never actually got a copy of the warrenty.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

zebra900 said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I recently bought a condo that had just been renovated. As part of the Purchase & Sale there was a warrenty on the renovations. Not long after closing a huge plumbing problem became apparent. A simple description would be that due to the building not being lived in for a year or so while under renovation - a bunch of crap in the pipes hardened and blocked them up (some water could get through so it wasn't seen during the inspection, but when the washer was installed and shower/dishwasher started running on a regular basis, everything quickly backed up). The pipe that was blocked was original in the building (from about 100 years ago). My question is if this should have been covered under the warrenty, or since these pipes were not replaced if it is just considered a pre-existing condition? I never actually got a copy of the warrenty.
**A: the warranty did not cover the pipes that cause the problem. And the word is spelled warranty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">