• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Return of earnest money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jonline19

What is the name of your state? AZ

my wife and i put earnest money down for the construction of a new home; the purchase agreement stated the monies were not returnable. however, my wife died suddenly, and i now want out of the contract. is the purchase agreement valid since my wife has died? is there a state law stating the monies should be returned since the two buying parties cannot fulfill the contract?

HomeGuru

jonline19 said:
What is the name of your state? AZ

my wife and i put earnest money down for the construction of a new home; the purchase agreement stated the monies were not returnable. however, my wife died suddenly, and i now want out of the contract. is the purchase agreement valid since my wife has died? is there a state law stating the monies should be returned since the two buying parties cannot fulfill the contract?
**A: have an attorney review your contract.

lwpat

Earnest money is in case the purchaser cannot fulfill his end of the bargain for whatever reason. I am sorry for your loss but the reason is immaterial. They do not have to return the earnest money. In similar cases I have seen the contractor return one-half so you could ask.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">