• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

roof leak after 3 hurricanes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

welches

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?VA

Our company replaced a roof for a woman at the beginning of August. Now, after 3 hurricanes have come through our area, it it leaking. We agreed to come fix the leak at no cost of labor or materials. However, she is asking us to fix any water damage to the rest of her home at no cost. No big deal, except for the fact that she won't even let us come put down anything to help prevent damage until this current storm has passed and we can get on the roof. No plastic, sealers, not even pots and pans! She is intentionally allowing water to get in her home and damage it. I understand her point that there should not have been a leak in the first place, but after 3 hurricanes, many roofs in our area have completely been torn away. (My own parents have a gaping hole above their garage.) Am I stupid and missing something here? Are we REALLY liable for the damage if she won't allow us to prevent it?
Thanks for your time. :confused:

HomeGuru

welches said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?VA

Our company replaced a roof for a woman at the beginning of August. Now, after 3 hurricanes have come through our area, it it leaking. We agreed to come fix the leak at no cost of labor or materials. However, she is asking us to fix any water damage to the rest of her home at no cost. No big deal, except for the fact that she won't even let us come put down anything to help prevent damage until this current storm has passed and we can get on the roof. No plastic, sealers, not even pots and pans! She is intentionally allowing water to get in her home and damage it. I understand her point that there should not have been a leak in the first place, but after 3 hurricanes, many roofs in our area have completely been torn away. (My own parents have a gaping hole above their garage.) Am I stupid and missing something here? Are we REALLY liable for the damage if she won't allow us to prevent it?
Thanks for your time. :confused:

**A: send her a certified rrr letter detailing the history and document her refusal to let you fix the problem.

welches

RE: roof leak

Well, she called again this evening, at our home number at that (don't know how she got it). She now says we are not allowed back on her property, but she want us to pay another contractor to come fix the roof AND any additional damage. Her "friend" told her the roof was put on wrong to begin with, and she won't even let us come back to look at the "problem". Now I am wondering if there is a leak at all. :mad:
Do we send a copy of a certified letter to anyone besides her?
Thanks again.

HomeGuru

welches said:
Well, she called again this evening, at our home number at that (don't know how she got it). She now says we are not allowed back on her property, but she want us to pay another contractor to come fix the roof AND any additional damage. Her "friend" told her the roof was put on wrong to begin with, and she won't even let us come back to look at the "problem". Now I am wondering if there is a leak at all. :mad:
Do we send a copy of a certified letter to anyone besides her?
Thanks again.
**A: yes, your company attorney.

welches

small rant here.....

:mad: Well, this one tops them all. She now has told us that she has already contracted her friend and his crew to replace the whole roof. They start next week. She still maintains that we are not allowed to come fix the leak, and that we will be paying for this other crew to replace it. Our lawyer had this long stunned silence when we told him about the problem. Then he very slowly asked if she was serious. It gets better.....earlier this year she had a judgement placed against her for non-payment to another construction company. Anyone else see a pattern?? Thanks for listening.

BelizeBreeze

welches said:
:mad: Well, this one tops them all. She now has told us that she has already contracted her friend and his crew to replace the whole roof. They start next week. She still maintains that we are not allowed to come fix the leak, and that we will be paying for this other crew to replace it. Our lawyer had this long stunned silence when we told him about the problem. Then he very slowly asked if she was serious. It gets better.....earlier this year she had a judgement placed against her for non-payment to another construction company. Anyone else see a pattern?? Thanks for listening.
Take your attorney out for a nice steak dinner. He's going to be having a lot of fun with this one :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">