• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roof materials

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

t74

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OK

We have a decking repair and addition project in progress. It includes a roof; the deck is not enclosed and underside of the roof is not surfaced with any additional material. The contract did not specify the roof subsurface material although the roof support and shingles were. The contractor used OSB which is specifically stated by the building supply store to be unsuitable for surfaces exposed to weather.

The roof has been completed for only a couple of days. There are already problems.

1 It leaked in today's rain. Water drips though the gaps between the sheathing panels when pressed from the floor. No one was home to determine if it leaked while the rain was falling.
2 The nails used for shingling extend through the ceiling at least an inch and are a safety issue
3 The roof deck substrate materials are not appropriate for the application in which they were used; OSB rather than exterior grade, weather treated plywood was used.
4 I did not observe the construction in progress and do not know if they used roofing felt as specified

I estimate that the difference in the original materials cost to be approximately $160. The cost to correct the problem with new materials is between $1000 and $2000 and the construction as it now stands to be a major problem in less than a year as it is already leaking.

I have not paid for the job as yet. I believe that it is reasonable for him to replace the materials including all new shingles as well as subsurfaces. I do not expect him to agree to do so and fully expect him to file a lien if I refuse to pay for this work.

I intend to speak with the contractor tomorrow and want to know the best way to approach it.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OK

We have a decking repair and addition project in progress. It includes a roof; the deck is not enclosed and underside of the roof is not surfaced with any additional material. The contract did not specify the roof subsurface material although the roof support and shingles were. The contractor used OSB which is specifically stated by the building supply store to be unsuitable for surfaces exposed to weather.

The roof has been completed for only a couple of days. There are already problems.

1 It leaked in today's rain. Water drips though the gaps between the sheathing panels when pressed from the floor. No one was home to determine if it leaked while the rain was falling.
2 The nails used for shingling extend through the ceiling at least an inch and are a safety issue
3 The roof deck substrate materials are not appropriate for the application in which they were used; OSB rather than exterior grade, weather treated plywood was used.
4 I did not observe the construction in progress and do not know if they used roofing felt as specified

I estimate that the difference in the original materials cost to be approximately $160. The cost to correct the problem with new materials is between $1000 and $2000 and the construction as it now stands to be a major problem in less than a year as it is already leaking.

I have not paid for the job as yet. I believe that it is reasonable for him to replace the materials including all new shingles as well as subsurfaces. I do not expect him to agree to do so and fully expect him to file a lien if I refuse to pay for this work.

I intend to speak with the contractor tomorrow and want to know the best way to approach it.
You are speaking with the contractor on Sunday?

The best way to approach the contractor is to point out the problems you see and ask that the problems are corrected. Advise the contractor that he will not get paid until the repairs are made.

Arm yourself with your contract and with applicable building codes.

I doubt you will have time between now and tomorrow to have a building inspector out to inspect the work already completed, but you can advise the contractor that you intend to have an inspection before paying.

Good luck.

Last edited:

justalayman

You need to understand what "exposed to weather" means. Understand that sheathing used on a typical roof system is not sealed from all weather. Air is allowed to flow through a soffit or other venting means and then under the exposed sheathing. It is effectively open to the same weather as your porch roof except for blowing rain or snow.

Your installation would allow no more direct exposure to the weather other that blowing rain or snow. Osb uses resins designed for limited exposure to the weather such as would be experienced during construction. I don't see the exposure to the weather any more than such.

More importantly, you need to speak with your local building inspector to determine if the application is code compliant.

To the nails: did you expect them to all be trimmed flush? I'm missing the point as any nail or staple used will result with exposed points protruding from the underside.

The leaking is an issue though. That must be addressed or it will exceed the limited weather exposure the osb is designed for. There should be no water under the shingles at all but even if there was some minimal infiltration, the felt would allow enough protection to prevent it from reaching the sheathing. I would be very concerned about what you describe

And to check for felt: look at the edges. Gently lift the shingles a bit being sure to not crack or tear them. Felt, if used, would be obvious as a layer between the shingles and the sheathing.

quincy

... More importantly, you need to speak with your local building inspector to determine if the application is code compliant. ...
It was smart of t74 to withhold payment. Many people will pay the contractor once the work is completed, without ensuring all was done correctly and to code. They can then have difficulty getting the necessary repairs or corrections made. The contractor is suddenly unavailable.

Whenever you have any major work done on your house, an inspection is important.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">