• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roof question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

revship

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

My family has lived in our current home for 20+ years. This house has a hand made tile roof that has failed, and we suffer major leaks into almost every room every time it rains. We want to replace the tiles with an architectural shingle, since the slope of the roof (2 in 12) will not support tile under current roofing codes (the house is about 100 years old).

When we applied for building permits, the city referred us to the local planning commission. This commission has decided that a "fabulous" (their words) house needs to have a tile roof, even though roofers will not put a warrenteed tile roof on our home. Do we have any legal recourse?

Help!! The rainy season is coming! :eek:

HomeGuru

revship said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

My family has lived in our current home for 20+ years. This house has a hand made tile roof that has failed, and we suffer major leaks into almost every room every time it rains. We want to replace the tiles with an architectural shingle, since the slope of the roof (2 in 12) will not support tile under current roofing codes (the house is about 100 years old).

When we applied for building permits, the city referred us to the local planning commission. This commission has decided that a "fabulous" (their words) house needs to have a tile roof, even though roofers will not put a warrenteed tile roof on our home. Do we have any legal recourse?

Help!! The rainy season is coming! :eek:
**A: have an architect design the roof for lightweight Monier tile.

R

revship

CA

The city will not allow changes to the roof line, which would effect the "architectural integrity" of the house (it's approx. 5000 square feet).

G

Gwaltney07

in my opinion i would find a new roofer. i worked in the roofing industery for many years. there is no reason a new slate roof can not be but on. if the struc. int. is in question then replace the slats. they are now making (don't know what it is called) a new light weight artifical slate roof.

HomeGuru

revship said:
CA

The city will not allow changes to the roof line, which would effect the "architectural integrity" of the house (it's approx. 5000 square feet).
**A: then have the architect work with the city on something that works.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">