• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roofer Problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

superhudson

What is the name of your state? CA

I just bought a house, and part of the escrow deal included the old owner to install a new roof.

When the old owner agreed, and gave me the name of the roofers, I asked my real estate agent if she had heard of the roofer, she yes, and heard that he was reputable local roofer.

Well, the escrow took longer then expected, which was fine because we were waiting for the weather to clear up, so the roofers could install the roof.
After escrow, my real estate agent said the roofers were just waiting for a good solid three days of no rain, so I was surprised to find them there when I started to move my stuff in (early May).

2 days later, I came Home to find that it had rained the previous night, and that their tar boiler was covered by a tarp, however my House was not covered.

As a Result all the drywall was soaked, and starting to separate and peel.
The carpet and padding was wet and the paint had water bubbles, from the living room to the back bathroom, also the floorboards in the living room had started to warp( I now Have Mold Starting to Creep in).

When the roofer was informed of the problem, he said he would take care of it.
Well he got a wet vac in there, then he replaced the padding (he put it right over the wet, and warped floor) then left a couple cans of paint and a two paintbrushes.

I called the contractor to complain, he was very sarcastic, and said I should be happy to have a new roof. Since then He will not return my phone calls, and now I am beginning to take legal action via small claims court.

I Have Now Started doing My Own Repairs to the water damage.

My Question is This, Is He responsible for covering my house if he thinks it is going to rain, and how much responsibility is his?

I know it is long story, With a Simple Question, however this is California, and you never know.
Thank you for your Time
H.T.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

superhudson said:
What is the name of your state? CA

I just bought a house, and part of the escrow deal included the old owner to install a new roof.

When the old owner agreed, and gave me the name of the roofers, I asked my real estate agent if she had heard of the roofer, she yes, and heard that he was reputable local roofer.

Well, the escrow took longer then expected, which was fine because we were waiting for the weather to clear up, so the roofers could install the roof.
After escrow, my real estate agent said the roofers were just waiting for a good solid three days of no rain, so I was surprised to find them there when I started to move my stuff in (early May).

2 days later, I came Home to find that it had rained the previous night, and that their tar boiler was covered by a tarp, however my House was not covered.

As a Result all the drywall was soaked, and starting to separate and peel.
The carpet and padding was wet and the paint had water bubbles, from the living room to the back bathroom, also the floorboards in the living room had started to warp( I now Have Mold Starting to Creep in).

When the roofer was informed of the problem, he said he would take care of it.
Well he got a wet vac in there, then he replaced the padding (he put it right over the wet, and warped floor) then left a couple cans of paint and a two paintbrushes.

I called the contractor to complain, he was very sarcastic, and said I should be happy to have a new roof. Since then He will not return my phone calls, and now I am beginning to take legal action via small claims court.

I Have Now Started doing My Own Repairs to the water damage.

My Question is This, Is He responsible for covering my house if he thinks it is going to rain, and how much responsibility is his?

I know it is long story, With a Simple Question, however this is California, and you never know.
Thank you for your Time
H.T.
**A: if the roofer stripped the roof then they would be responsible for installing a temporary tarp over the roof if the job was not complete.

S

superhudson

Thank you ,Home Guru

Thank you ,Home Guru.

Thank you for taking the time to answer My question.

superhudson

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">