• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

to sand or not to sand???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cjbaby

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? nassau county new york

hi all

on 7/27/04 i hired a contractor to reside my home and replace windows he did write up a contract with a completion date of 8/31/04 which he signed and i did not (he was in a rush) as of today he's still not done

now my biggest problem is around the bay window and the opening for the ac which was closed . the contract states " ready to paint" which it is not. the spackle needs to be sanded around the window and ac closure.

also they subbed the gutter work out to another contractor in the process they dropped a ladder on my garage door cracking it. i called my contractor to let him know this he said no problem he'll call them and tell them they have to fix it.on 9/27/04 a garage door guy came and said the door can't be fixed it has to be replaced and that he would let my contractor know this and see what he wants to do.i haven't heard anything yet.

my question is this can i hire someone else to sand the walls,and also replace the garage door and deduct the cost of this from my contractors final payment???

i'm still holding 2,200 dollars as final payment. the garage door will cost 900 dollars to replace, and the spackling will cost 300.

the reason i ask is because my contractor keeps giving me the runaround,not returning my calls and so on.

what can i do legally????

thanks all

HomeGuru

cjbaby said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? nassau county new york

hi all

on 7/27/04 i hired a contractor to reside my home and replace windows he did write up a contract with a completion date of 8/31/04 which he signed and i did not (he was in a rush) as of today he's still not done

now my biggest problem is around the bay window and the opening for the ac which was closed . the contract states " ready to paint" which it is not. the spackle needs to be sanded around the window and ac closure.

also they subbed the gutter work out to another contractor in the process they dropped a ladder on my garage door cracking it. i called my contractor to let him know this he said no problem he'll call them and tell them they have to fix it.on 9/27/04 a garage door guy came and said the door can't be fixed it has to be replaced and that he would let my contractor know this and see what he wants to do.i haven't heard anything yet.

my question is this can i hire someone else to sand the walls,and also replace the garage door and deduct the cost of this from my contractors final payment???

i'm still holding 2,200 dollars as final payment. the garage door will cost 900 dollars to replace, and the spackling will cost 300.

the reason i ask is because my contractor keeps giving me the runaround,not returning my calls and so on.

what can i do legally????

thanks all
**A: what does your written contract state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">