• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Septic tank blues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jasonewilliams

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NORTH CAROLINA
BRAND NEW SEPTIC SYSTEM IS NOT WORKING. I have had it inspected by the county health department, the installer, and a service tech. They all say it is mechanically sound. The installer and the service tech seem to think the problem is a thick layer of clay below the system is preventing perk. I have spoken to installers in other parts of the state who say that the health department requires on their perscription that the clay be removed completely and back filled with sand. They did not perscribe this in my situation. The only real solution that I have found is to excavate the drain field AGAIN, remove the clay and install another new drain field. This would cost about $10,000! My problem is that I have purchased a $10,000 drain field that has not worked from day one, and the only solution is to fork out another $10,000. Is anyone responsible for this failure, or have I flushed $10,000 into a septic tank that does not work.

HomeGuru

jasonewilliams said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NORTH CAROLINA
BRAND NEW SEPTIC SYSTEM IS NOT WORKING. I have had it inspected by the county health department, the installer, and a service tech. They all say it is mechanically sound. The installer and the service tech seem to think the problem is a thick layer of clay below the system is preventing perk. I have spoken to installers in other parts of the state who say that the health department requires on their perscription that the clay be removed completely and back filled with sand. They did not perscribe this in my situation. The only real solution that I have found is to excavate the drain field AGAIN, remove the clay and install another new drain field. This would cost about $10,000! My problem is that I have purchased a $10,000 drain field that has not worked from day one, and the only solution is to fork out another $10,000. Is anyone responsible for this failure, or have I flushed $10,000 into a septic tank that does not work.
**A: have you contacted a wastewater/mechanical engineer?

John Se

did they perc test?

did they per test and dig sample pits, get a permit or just go for it?. I think you installer contractor needs to provide you with a working system. I would say the septic company get to fix the leaching field or get sued for damage after you build yoself a working leach field.

jasonewilliams

county told installer what to do to fix

There was an old drainfield on the lot befor we built that was in bad shape due to overgrowth on the lot. The county said to go ahead and build and we will fix septic at the end of construction. Once that time came, the county and the installer met at the lot and discussed a solution. The installer says he did exactly what the county told him to do. Does that releive him of liability?

John Se

I would say NO

good ol boys who digs septic fields will try and get away with it, Unless he has it in writing that the county engineer said that the new field will perc, but he is still supposed to provide you with a working leach field. So get on his ass with the registrar of contractors. Did they test the area for the new field for Perc? and did he get a new permit? and how big is your leach field i.e how long are the leach lines. 10K sounds pretty large for some very cheap pipe, a day of backhoe and some fill. Even around here when we have to build 200 feet of leach lines its only about 4-5K and thats top quality.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">