• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Septic Tank Problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Buzz123

What is the name of your state? Florida

I am having problems with my drainage, I spoke to a contractor on the phone and he quoted me $1800 to $2000 to replace my septic tank and drainfield. He was to show up tommorrow and I was going to meet him to finalize things and watch the work. He showed up today, a day early, and no one was home. He started working and just replaced the drainfield, and not the septic tank before I knew he was even working. He said he thought the septic tank was probably ok. He gave me a bill for $1500.

This is not what I wanted and not what we agreed on, infact we did not agree that he would do anything today or without supervision. It seems to me that it is unwise to spend $1500 and still have an old septic tank. It is not feasible to now replace the septic tank without digging up a big part of the new drainfield, so he can not just come back in and fix it. What is my legal standing if I refuse to pay him until he does it right and then only pay him $2000? What if he refuses to do it? Any advice would be appreciated.

HomeGuru

Buzz123 said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

I am having problems with my drainage, I spoke to a contractor on the phone and he quoted me $1800 to $2000 to replace my septic tank and drainfield. He was to show up tommorrow and I was going to meet him to finalize things and watch the work. He showed up today, a day early, and no one was home. He started working and just replaced the drainfield, and not the septic tank before I knew he was even working. He said he thought the septic tank was probably ok. He gave me a bill for $1500.

This is not what I wanted and not what we agreed on, infact we did not agree that he would do anything today or without supervision. It seems to me that it is unwise to spend $1500 and still have an old septic tank. It is not feasible to now replace the septic tank without digging up a big part of the new drainfield, so he can not just come back in and fix it. What is my legal standing if I refuse to pay him until he does it right and then only pay him $2000? What if he refuses to do it? Any advice would be appreciated.
**A: it appears that there is a lot more to this story. Hire an attorney.

K

Kca

I may be able to help!

Even though I'm not an attorney.
I post replys on a hydronic heating page similar to this only about Radiant heating.
I came to this page because I'm haveing an issue with a neighbor but.. enough of me.

I'm a Plumbing and Heating contractor. I don't install septics but know about them.
If indeed you have a septic and not a cespool ( I presume that you do because a cespool doesn't have a leach field associated with it), a Septic tank is nothing more than a concrete tank with a baffel in it. Unless it has collapsed or has a hole in it I'm not sure why you would replace it. It's the leach field that actually gets rid of the water. The solids remain in the tank and (are supposed to anyway) decompose.. Adding a yeast helps the bacteria.

The contractor may have actually done the right thing for you. I suggest sitting accross from him and letting him explain why he did what he did.

Keep me posted...

:) Ken
[email protected]

HomeGuru

Re: I may be able to help!

Kca said:
Even though I'm not an attorney.
I post replys on a hydronic heating page similar to this only about Radiant heating.
I came to this page because I'm haveing an issue with a neighbor but.. enough of me.

I'm a Plumbing and Heating contractor. I don't install septics but know about them.
If indeed you have a septic and not a cespool ( I presume that you do because a cespool doesn't have a leach field associated with it), a Septic tank is nothing more than a concrete tank with a baffel in it. Unless it has collapsed or has a hole in it I'm not sure why you would replace it. It's the leach field that actually gets rid of the water. The solids remain in the tank and (are supposed to anyway) decompose.. Adding a yeast helps the bacteria.

The contractor may have actually done the right thing for you. I suggest sitting accross from him and letting him explain why he did what he did.

Keep me posted...

:) Ken
[email protected]
**A: I believe the writer's main issue is that the contractor did the work without approval by the writer. It appears that there was no verbal or written approval for the contractor to even start the job.

Buzz123

Thanks for the advice. Home Guru is right I am concerned that the contractor did the work without any kind of contract or authorization; only based on the knowledge that I wanted something done. For all he knew I could have been getting other bids.

I appreciate Kca's advice also. I do not mind paying a reasonable cost for what the contractor did; if it was the right thing to do. I will try and sit down with him and try and work through it.

Home Guru my question is what is my legal standing if I am not happy with either his work or his price? Can he file a lien (Florida) or otherwise recover for the work if I decide not to pay him? It would help to know before talking with him, I would hope to come to some kind of agreement but given his actions so far I am not sure that will happen.

thanks

HomeGuru

Buzz123 said:
Thanks for the advice. Home Guru is right I am concerned that the contractor did the work without any kind of contract or authorization; only based on the knowledge that I wanted something done. For all he knew I could have been getting other bids.

I appreciate Kca's advice also. I do not mind paying a reasonable cost for what the contractor did; if it was the right thing to do. I will try and sit down with him and try and work through it.

Home Guru my question is what is my legal standing if I am not happy with either his work or his price? Can he file a lien (Florida) or otherwise recover for the work if I decide not to pay him? It would help to know before talking with him, I would hope to come to some kind of agreement but given his actions so far I am not sure that will happen.

thanks
**A: it depends on if he has lien rights, is a licensed contractor etc. Contact your state contractors license board.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">