• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

service rendered without authorization

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cab1958

What is the name of your state? texas
while i was at work one day, a painting contractor began painting the exterior of my house by accident. he had the address wrong. by the time i arrived home the work was 85% complete. while my house did need the work, i could not afford to have it done. upon finding out what happened, the owner of the painting company arrived at my house within 45 minutes and requested that i pay for at least some of the work. i told him of my financial situation and that i could not pay him. he attempted to get me to sign the work order promising to pay for what he called, his cost. again i told him i couldn't afford to do so. his crew had stopped working and was standing in my driveway. he alluded to the fact that the house wasn't finished and that if i didn't help him, he wasn't sure if he could finish the work. his persistence, coupled with the facts that i might be stuck with an unfinished product and that i was standing in my driveway among his crew, was a bit intimidating. i finally relented and told him that i would try to pay as much as i could over the next year. unfortunately, i wasn't able to pay him anything. it has been a year and a half and i have now been served with civil notice concerning this. do i have any recourse?

HomeGuru

cab1958 said:
What is the name of your state? texas
while i was at work one day, a painting contractor began painting the exterior of my house by accident. he had the address wrong. by the time i arrived home the work was 85% complete. while my house did need the work, i could not afford to have it done. upon finding out what happened, the owner of the painting company arrived at my house within 45 minutes and requested that i pay for at least some of the work. i told him of my financial situation and that i could not pay him. he attempted to get me to sign the work order promising to pay for what he called, his cost. again i told him i couldn't afford to do so. his crew had stopped working and was standing in my driveway. he alluded to the fact that the house wasn't finished and that if i didn't help him, he wasn't sure if he could finish the work. his persistence, coupled with the facts that i might be stuck with an unfinished product and that i was standing in my driveway among his crew, was a bit intimidating. i finally relented and told him that i would try to pay as much as i could over the next year. unfortunately, i wasn't able to pay him anything. it has been a year and a half and i have now been served with civil notice concerning this. do i have any recourse?
**A: you should have called the police that day. Now your goose is cooked when you go to court.

lwpat

My suggestion would be to do a litle investigating of this contractor. This is a common scam and if you could find some more "victims" willing to testify the court may take that into consideration.

Texas may also have a conractors licensing law. If he is not licensed then you will not have to pay. Contact the state consumer affairs office, usually under the state attorney general.

JETX

Actually, your post isn't clear as to what, if any, obligation you have.

Your post said, " i finally relented and told him that i would try to pay as much as i could over the next year."
Was this in WRITING??
If so, what EXACTLY did you agree to pay and on what terms??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">