• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Severe weather during renovation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mr3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH

we had a flat roof and hired a contractor to remodel it to a 6 pitch roof. During construction we have had 2 instances now of rain coming through the ceiling. The first one he claimed responsibility and is going to compensate for damages because he did not properly tarp the roof. The 2nd instance the roof was tarped but the severe weather blew the tarp off and caused water to come through the ceiling soaking a bed and carpet. He is claiming it was an act of nature and is not taking responsibility. What should I do?

John Se

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH

We had a flat roof and hired a contractor to remodel it to a 6 pitch roof. During construction we have had 2 instances now of rain coming through the ceiling. The first one he claimed responsibility and is going to compensate for damages because he did not properly tarp the roof. The 2nd instance the roof was tarped but the severe weather blew the tarp off and caused water to come through the ceiling soaking a bed and carpet. He is claiming it was an act of nature and is not taking responsibility. What should I do?
Going from a flat roof to a pitched roof to me involves building the new pitched roof in top thereby never removing the old flat roof. then if the old flat roof needs to come out then you do that from the inside after the house if weatherproof. How is yours being done and how big is it?, with appropriate planning and enough labor you should be able to work around the weather and get it dried in in a day. Or wait for a break in the weather. Also what is a 6 pitch roof? Do you mean 6 in 12? or 6 degrees?

Dave1952

Is there any reason why the tarp could not be tied down well? Was there a tornado nearby or at least high winds? This sounds like negligence, not an act of nature.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">