• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shotty work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wheeling22

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire
I hired a contractor to add a master bedroom and a living room. Total cost should be 75,000.
The contractor put down the foundation and put up the framework along with tying in the new addition to the original home. after this was done, the town inspector came to inspect the work. After inspecting, the inspector said there are major problems with the work that can be fixed but will be a labor consuming project. The inspector told me that this is a complete disaster. He also told me that he has seen cases where the contractor walks off the job because it will cost to much for him to fix his shotty work.
My question is, I have paid the contractor about 45,000 of the 75,000 so far, If the contractor walks off, what are my options. Would it be worth it to take him to court or am I throwing good money after bad. . .

Please help

Lorne Loucks
Hampton NH

S

seniorjudge

wheeling22 said:
What is the name of your state? New Hampshire
I hired a contractor to add a master bedroom and a living room. Total cost should be 75,000.
The contractor put down the foundation and put up the framework along with tying in the new addition to the original home. after this was done, the town inspector came to inspect the work. After inspecting, the inspector said there are major problems with the work that can be fixed but will be a labor consuming project. The inspector told me that this is a complete disaster. He also told me that he has seen cases where the contractor walks off the job because it will cost to much for him to fix his shotty work.
My question is, I have paid the contractor about 45,000 of the 75,000 so far, If the contractor walks off, what are my options. Would it be worth it to take him to court or am I throwing good money after bad. . .

Please help

Lorne Loucks
Hampton NH

What does your written contract say about this?

Is "shotty" a cross between "shoddy" and "sh*tty"? I like it! Shotty!

wheeling22

Contract doesn't say anything about walking off the job.
It is a simple contract that says "I agree to pay him to build an addition

S

seniorjudge

wheeling22 said:
Contract doesn't say anything about walking off the job.
It is a simple contract that says "I agree to pay him to build an addition
I guess it's your choice then.

Me, I wouldn't have him on the place again.

But it's up to you.

Whatever you decide, you must take the consequences.

John Se

how did the money go?

45000/75000=60%, How did this contractor get so far ahead of you on the money???. since he did about 15% of the work
and his profit is only about 20% looks like he has about 30K of your money. I would be angry, get a lawyer immediately. He's got no incentive to finish. Is this guy licensed and bonded? and for how long?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">