• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should Builder Compensate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nickelkalem

I'm in Florida ann in October of 2003 I signed a contract with Watson Home builders in a new subdivision. They told me that lot 51 would be done in March. I chose this lot because my current lease would be up in march and the timing was perfect. After several months of waiting and calling my builder because nothing was being done on my house, i called the local permiting office myself and found out nothing had even been submitted. when i called my builder on this, she blamed the structural engineer's office for the delay. Now they're saying it's not going to be done until May or June, causing me to have to pay and extra $100 a month to do a month to month lease at my apartment. Do I have any right to want compensation from the builder? I feel like she should have been pushing the engineer to get it done, not relying on me to call and find out everything. The problem I think I'll face though is that a specific March date was never stated on my contract, it was just verbally told to me and my bank lender. What are my options? I don't want to back out because it'lltake even longer to switch builders and this house is the only one in my price range. Please help!!

H

hexeliebe

And what does your contract say as to recourse for non-delivery or late delivery?

N

nickelkalem

It says that "if not completed within 30 days of said completion, buyer has the right to cancel contract, receive all monies paid up to that date, and receive $100 liquidated damages". It says something else after that but the copy my builder gave me conveniently has that cut off. At this point I don't want to back out but I feel I deserve some sort of compensation for my extra costs, whether it be monetarily or in the form of upgrades (tile in the kitchen or a microwave, etc.)

JETX

" At this point I don't want to back out but I feel I deserve some sort of compensation for my extra costs, whether it be monetarily or in the form of upgrades (tile in the kitchen or a microwave, etc.)"
*** You would only be entitled to the specific compensation as provided in the contract. Your wishes of additional compensation can be requested, but there is no obligation for the builder to provide them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">