• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should a professional moving company be liable for two weeks late delivery?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adwaraey

I am relocating and hired a professional moving company for full service including packing/ unpacking and shipment to another state (1100 miles). The expected schedule including arrival date that was provided by the company was 3-8 business days after picking up. However, they did not deliver the items until nineteen (19) days after the last day of the expected delivery date range.

On my following up, I was told that my stuff have arrived at the destination, however, was stored in their storage. They do not have the resources to reload and ship to my house per the schedule. They provided lame excuses; such as their agent at the destination is fully booked up since this is a peak time of the year.

This has resulted that I with my family had to stay in a hotel room all this time with limited personal resources for over three (3) weeks. During this time we had to switch hotels in the middle, and dine out all the time. In order to be come up with all these unexpected expenses, I maxed out 3 credit cards, two were in hand and I had to apply for and max out a third one!

-They failed to provide a solution. The were unable to resolve their own problems or manage their time, schedule, or coordinate a solution such as contracting, or increase resources to deliver on time.
- They coordinated/ elected to change the schedule to the best of their interest and their profits, without paying enough attention to client and his family who were suffering the inconvenience of living without their possession, and the related expenses as a result.

Is this a valid claim to make to the moving company? Should not they be liable to; at least; the direct costs? If so, how much should I claim for a family of 4 per IRS standard (or else).

quincy

I am relocating and hired a professional moving company for full service including packing/ unpacking and shipment to another state (1100 miles). The expected schedule including arrival date that was provided by the company was 3-8 business days after picking up. However, they did not deliver the items until nineteen (19) days after the last day of the expected delivery date range.

On my following up, I was told that my stuff have arrived at the destination, however, was stored in their storage. They do not have the resources to reload and ship to my house per the schedule. They provided lame excuses; such as their agent at the destination is fully booked up since this is a peak time of the year.

This has resulted that I with my family had to stay in a hotel room all this time with limited personal resources for over three (3) weeks. During this time we had to switch hotels in the middle, and dine out all the time. In order to be come up with all these unexpected expenses, I maxed out 3 credit cards, two were in hand and I had to apply for and max out a third one!

-They failed to provide a solution. The were unable to resolve their own problems or manage their time, schedule, or coordinate a solution such as contracting, or increase resources to deliver on time.
- They coordinated/ elected to change the schedule to the best of their interest and their profits, without paying enough attention to client and his family who were suffering the inconvenience of living without their possession, and the related expenses as a result.

Is this a valid claim to make to the moving company? Should not they be liable to; at least; the direct costs? If so, how much should I claim for a family of 4 per IRS standard (or else).
How does your contract with the moving company address the issue of later than expected deliveries?

LdiJ

I agree that you need to review your contract with them carefully. I think however that you might have some problems. I am supposing that you could have moved into your new home whether you had your belongings or not, and I am supposing that your costs of doing that might have been less than your cost of living in a hotel and eating out. I could be entirely wrong...but its a issue that will factor into any lawsuit..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">