• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subcontractor dispute with general contractor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

petey12345

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have been building a home in southern California. My general contractor fired the painting sub-contractor after he demanded payment installation prior to providing adequate services based on the payment schedule they worked out. Now they are in a dispute and the sub-contractor has filed a notice to me that he will be putting a lien on the property. I was completely blindsided by this because I have only been dealing with my general contractor for all other aspects of the construction. I paid the GC directly for the painting work, and now the GC doesn't want to pay the sub-contractor (painter) since he feels that the work was not done. I'm getting conflicting information on the internet. Can the sub-contractor file a lien on my property and have legal grounds to come after me for payment of something I already paid my GC for?

I have talked to my GC about it, and he says he is taking care of things and to not worry about it (easier said than done). I am just concerned that his disagreement will boil over to my having to pay more for this already expensive process. Thanks for any advice here.

OnTheRoadAgain

You don't make final payment to your GC, till all the sub's have signed off. We were given a doc at closing showing all the sub's signed off as paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">