• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas - lien without a contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Susanarbuckle

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have paid 98% of a contractor 's bill to build a classroom. The property manager (commercial building) had originally made arrangements for us to make payments to them (prop. mgr.) but when an issue of bathrooms surfaced, they transferred the arrangements for us to make payments directly to the contractor. No contract was sent for signature from the property mgr nor the contractor.

The remaining 2% of the bill is not being paid due to the fact that our marker boards were not installed before the start of class. I have withheld 22% of the board cost because we went without our boards for 22% of our class days. The contractor is threatening to put a lien on the property and there's a chance that the property mgt company may evict us until it's cleared up.

Can the contractor put a lien on the property without a signed contract?

HomeGuru

Susanarbuckle said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

I have paid 98% of a contractor 's bill to build a classroom. The property manager (commercial building) had originally made arrangements for us to make payments to them (prop. mgr.) but when an issue of bathrooms surfaced, they transferred the arrangements for us to make payments directly to the contractor. No contract was sent for signature from the property mgr nor the contractor.

The remaining 2% of the bill is not being paid due to the fact that our marker boards were not installed before the start of class. I have withheld 22% of the board cost because we went without our boards for 22% of our class days. The contractor is threatening to put a lien on the property and there's a chance that the property mgt company may evict us until it's cleared up.

**A: what a joke.
Can the contractor put a lien on the property without a signed contract?
**A: yes........

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">