• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unable to view a home that is under construction? Trespassing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mark1210

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hello,

We purchased a home about a year ago in a neighborhood that is still growing with lots of construction. During the home purchase process I indicated I wanted to see the home under construction and was informed that there were issues in doing so due to OSHA but no one would stop me if I went and viewed the home after the trades people and construction crews were not on site. Everything went well an no issues.

Fast forward a year later...may have a family member buying a home in the same neighborhood and took him to see a home that was framed with partial drywall installed - apparently someone called the cops and I had a lot of explaining to do. The conversation was left that if the home is not mine (said sold on a sign in the yard) that I had no business in it and that they would be in touch with the builder (DR Horton). Not too concerned with that since the sales person is aware we're looking.

I find it odd the cops want to verify things with the office (they took down information and said they would be in touch) and verified no damage in the home.

Is this normal? In the past I've never had any issues viewing homes under construction or even being there with the builders on site.

Times are changing I guess...

justalayman

of course it is normal. You had no association with the house you went into. At least with yours you could go with the argument it was your house. Walking into somebody else's house is trespassing.

FarmerJ

One huge thing that has changed in the last few years is that new homes under construction have become targets of copper theft, Ive read articles here where some electricians now refuse to install wiring in homes under construction that are not secured. (copper water lines and copper gas lines same problem re theft.

quincy

One huge thing that has changed in the last few years is that new homes under construction have become targets of copper theft, Ive read articles here where some electricians now refuse to install wiring in homes under construction that are not secured. (copper water lines and copper gas lines same problem re theft.
It's a big problem in my area, as well. Developers will often hire private security to guard the homes under construction from vandalism and theft and the police will arrest trespassers.

NC Aggie

Like some of the other posters have eluded, there may be issues or concerns with theft of items being taken out of unfinished homes in the area. I wouldn't find it odd or annoying at all, it sounds like a police officer doing his job. When we had our home built and wanted to check on the progress inside the home, we could only view it with the construction manager and we had to use hard hats.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Frankly, I find it astonishing that Mark even needed to ask the question. It seems to me to be self-evident.

FlyingRon

I had copper stolen from my building site when I built my home. Fortunately the thieves were idiots and got only a hundred foot of temporary power drop. If they'd pulled harder, they would have realized that it was just thrown under gravel and then ran another 300 feet or so above ground to the site and there was more "still in the box" stuff on site.

Around, here, you're likely to get a bullet put into you if you pull that crap. We've got enough neighbors built in the development to be on the lookout for burglars.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">