• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Under Duress

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jnh978

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

This is in regards to my post called "Accord and Satisfaction Home Improvement Dispute" it should still be on the first page of this Forum.

Briefly,

The contractor who did work on the house tried to charge us for something that was not on the contract.

We only sent him a check for the amount that was due based on what was included on the contract. We left out his "extra" charges and sent a letter explaining why. In the letter, I wrote "We ask that you please accept this payment as satisfactory".

He cashed the check but endorsed it as "under duress". Why did he do this? Is there a way to respond to this? We have a small claims hearing in February so I'd like to be prepared if this comes up. Is "under duress" simply a way to voice your protest?

Thank you for your advice!

djohnson

Yes, it means he is accepting the check but not as payment in full. It means by cashing the check he does not agree to anything pertaining to anything else other than he was owed atleast that much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">