• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

upstairs n'bor upgrades

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

macy

What is the name of your state? Georgia
i live in a condo. my upstairs n'bor has been doing upgrades on her condo for over 6 weeks now. First she put in hard wood floors (which is not yet completed). while putting these down in her living room/dining room, her contractor pounded on the floor (my ceiling) so hard, a lighting lens fell and shattered putting shards of glass into my new carpet. this week the contractor put in new cabinets in the bathroom and did not hook the water line back up properly and we now have water damage in the bathroom and possibly other rooms as well. we've discovered that the contractor has no insurance. am i right in going to her insurance co? also, if this affects the resell of my condo, what rights/recourse do i have?

HomeGuru

macy said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia
i live in a condo. my upstairs n'bor has been doing upgrades on her condo for over 6 weeks now. First she put in hard wood floors (which is not yet completed). while putting these down in her living room/dining room, her contractor pounded on the floor (my ceiling) so hard, a lighting lens fell and shattered putting shards of glass into my new carpet. this week the contractor put in new cabinets in the bathroom and did not hook the water line back up properly and we now have water damage in the bathroom and possibly other rooms as well. we've discovered that the contractor has no insurance. am i right in going to her insurance co? also, if this affects the resell of my condo, what rights/recourse do i have?
**A: contact your HOA and your insurance company. You may need to hire an attorney if the owner of the condo above yours refuses to deal.

lwpat

"am i right in going to her insurance co?"

HomeGuru is correct. You should not be going to her insurance company. File a claim immediately with your insurance company and with the HOA's insurance company and let them fight it out.

It is too easy for them to just brush you off and ignore the claim. If you insuance company does not respond then contact the insurance commission in GA and file a complaint.

You need to do this immediately since a delay could diminish your rights.

M

macy

i've not gotten a response back from my HOA property mgr yet. Just left him another message and NOW, the insurance co. for upstairs n'bor is already trying to backpeddle on stuff. They are saying the will not pay for our loss of use. this is a one b'room/one bath condo. most of the ceiling in the bathroom is removed to get rid of moisture as is the drywall from at least 3 of 4 walls. our point is, we cannot shower as that would cause more moisture and humidity which is what we're trying to get rid of. its really getting to be a nightmare. i'm going to contact my insurance co. right away. any tho'ts on the devaluation of my condo?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">