• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

washer and dryer installation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TKH1957

I live in Pennsylvania and am having a new house built. I've noticed that washer and dryers are installed on a platform in the laundry room that looks similar to a skid. I've been told that they all are like that. It looks ridiculous, and pennies and debris falls in between the cracks. My husband refuses to have our builder do this. We have lived in 8 other states and this is the first time I've seen this. Is this a law? What recourse do we have?

S

seniorjudge

TKH1957 said:
I live in Pennsylvania and am having a new house built. I've noticed that washer and dryers are installed on a platform in the laundry room that looks similar to a skid. I've been told that they all are like that. It looks ridiculous, and pennies and debris falls in between the cracks. My husband refuses to have our builder do this. We have lived in 8 other states and this is the first time I've seen this. Is this a law? What recourse do we have?
Ask the builders in your area this question; could be some kind of zoning regulation. I do not think it has anything to do with code (but I have not memorized all the code).

HomeGuru

TKH1957 said:

**A: have the builder lay a plyboard top. There is no building code that requires a platform.

PghREA

I'm not sure what you mean by a skid. Most new home builder's in my area (SW PA) put the washer and dryer in a low "basin" with a drain in it - looks like a shower stall. This is mainly used in first or second floor laundry rooms
It is done in case of an overflow from the washer. This will protect your flooring and possibly the ceiling if the laundry room is on the second floor.

TKH1957

These are $500,000+ homes that I've seen this done...not in a skid row!!! Yes, I have seen where they will sit the washer in a large, white basin especially on the 2nd floor but this looks like a wooden skid. The slats are spaced about an inch apart and made out of 1x4 treated lumber. Not only is the washer sitting on this but the dryer too. I have seen this in three expensive homes here in the Pittsburgh area.

S

seniorjudge

TKH1957 said:
These are $500,000+ homes that I've seen this done...not in a skid row!!! Yes, I have seen where they will sit the washer in a large, white basin especially on the 2nd floor but this looks like a wooden skid. The slats are spaced about an inch apart and made out of 1x4 treated lumber. Not only is the washer sitting on this but the dryer too. I have seen this in three expensive homes here in the Pittsburgh area.
And, what did your builder say about this?

TKH1957

I haven't asked my builder about this yet. He's not at that stage yet. I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was talking about when I confronted him about it.

S

seniorjudge

TKH1957 said:
I haven't asked my builder about this yet. He's not at that stage yet. I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was talking about when I confronted him about it.
Confront him about what?

On either the morning or evening visit of your twice-daily visit to your site, you say to the builder, "I've noticed that washer and dryers are installed on a platform in the laundry room that looks similar to a skid. Why is that?"

PghREA

I'm with Seniorjudge - if you want an answer to something - just ask him.
If you are building a 500k+ home, I'm sure the builder will be willing to accommodate your wishes on the laundry room. (Even Maronda would make that change.)

TKH1957

I agree

I agree with you. I'm going to do like you said and see what he says. Being new to PA and every state seems to have different laws, I wanted to see if I was missing something...if this was some kind of requirement. Thanks!

HomeGuru

TKH1957 said:
I agree with you. I'm going to do like you said and see what he says. Being new to PA and every state seems to have different laws, I wanted to see if I was missing something...if this was some kind of requirement. Thanks!

**A: and are you going to do what I said too?

S

seniorjudge

HomeGuru said:
**A: and are you going to do what I said too?
TKH1957, to avoid a visit by the forum police, I suggest you do as HG says. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">